I need some opinions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jtrice11, Jul 10, 2005.

1. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a customer who's lawn was in really tough shape this spring, I put down a pre-emergent in the spring, then I did not spray Momentum in the spring because the lawn still looked pretty bad (NOTHING was growing, not even weeds). He finally got his irrigation system up and running and we've scheduled it to water the crap out of the grass, put down 18-0-18 w/ 4% Fe and its started to green up real nice, but then of course the broadleafs started to grow too. Hit it with a blanket app of Momentum Fx, and he's got one area of the lawn that died or went dormant. Its patchy, not consistent with my spray pattern etc...what could this be?? Did I do this? BTW, I also do his neighbors lawn, same program, it looks like a golf course!

2. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Very tough question to answer.

Sounds like you are very new to this. Is is possible that the part that died was a different type of grass?

Is it possible that it is a disese?

Is it possible that irrigation does not reach this area?

Is it possible that too much fer was applie din this area?

Information to look at -- size of dead spot -- Look at invidual baldes int hat dead spot -- look on perimeter of dead spot. Is it grwoing? What is unique to that spot? Sun, shade, pool?

LOts of questions to ask yourself. You'll figue itout if you look at all the clues.

3. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

THanks LonniesLawns, there are green blades of grass in the dead or dormant areas. THe one thing that has me thinking is that he told me he was out on his lawn with a bottle of some kind of week killer spot spraying weeds before we came in and did a blanket app. I don't think its disease, but I can't say that for sure.

I'm hoping to convince him that I doubt it was something we did, we take care of about 120 lawns and haven't had this happen to any of them. Plus, if our chemical app caused this, wouldn't it damage the entire lawn?

I am licensed in Turf and Ornamentals, but yes, I'm a rookie.

4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I would lean toward saying it is not something you did. Definitely, if he is also applying herbicides, you are off the hook on responsibility for the spot. If the area was doubled up on herbicide, that is his fault. Just assure him that he never needs to use herbicide while on your program, but to call you for a service call instead. You can't be held responsible if he does. That being said, just move on and solve his problem. If you have to seed the area (after 8-15) maybe you can work him a deal to appease him.

It is learning experiences like these that helped me form my policies, which I put in writing. My 6 app program comes with free service calls. Anything less and I will get it on the next round.

5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Find out what he put down. He might have been using Roundup. A 2X, 3X, or even 4X rate of broadleaf herbicide will probably not hurt turf, especially if it is actively growing and temps are not too high. IF its disease, the turf next to the problem area will be be showing symptons. Look for yellow and dark spots on grass blades. I did a service call for a local landscaper who had installed some sod. Suddenly it developed 6-8 inch dead spots, scattered throughout the lawn. The customer wanted all the sod replaced. Each spot was completely dead with a weed in the middle. The surrounding turf showed no signs of disease or insects. After lots of questions we figured out that 5 year old Tyler had decided to help Dad get rid of the weeds with the Roundup bottle.