I need some Stihl Trimmer advice guys...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fubba, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I'm to the point where I need another trimmer...well really another good trimmer for my employee to use. I use an FS 80R exclusively now and am looking at other Stihls. That's the only brand. The only dealer in my town worth going to carries them. I own two more pieces of equipment with the 4-mix and have been very satisfied with these. The decision is between another FS 80R, the FS 100R, or the FS 110R. I know the 100 is lighter than both the others. My FS 80R has been very reliable. Cranks on first pull since I got it a year ago. Why is the FS 110R about a pound heavier than the others when it has the exact same motor as the 100? Is the driveshaft solid like the FS 85 was? I'm just trying to get some opinions before I buy one next week.

2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

The shaft and the gear box are made out of lighter material.If your not interested in purchasing attachments, the 100 is a excellent trimmer for general purpose trimming . The 110 and 100 incorporate the same engines.

3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

The FS 110R has a solid shaft and is rated to mount a circular blade, the FS 100 is not. All I buy for my crews are FS 100R's - bullet proof, quiet, powerful and easy to use/operate.
    Do a search on trimmers here-there is a wealth of info in this subject.

4. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

FS100RX; no point in going bigger for regular maintenance. Some thing they are going to break the flex shaft but there is no way in hell that is going to happen IMO.

5. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The 110R has the solid drive shaft like the old 85, the 100 has a hollow shaft to lighten it up but am told still same lifetime warranty. Great unit with lots of power and it has been very reliable:weightlifter:

6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Lifetime warranty? Last time I checked my Stihl has a 2 year warranty.

7. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Just on the drive shaft and the clutch according to dealer.

8. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Echo has a liftime warranty on their shaft also. Took an edger in on Fri that an employee bent, or thought was bent. Vibed so bad you could'nt hold it but a few seconds. Anyway, I could have sworn I changed the blade but the blade was bent could'nt tell. Dealer said they are lifetime.
    "And Now You Have The Rest of the Story"

9. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

Well I already have a hedge trimmer and an edger, so I don't think I will need something to put attachments on. I don't really like the idea of stopping to put attachments on anyway. Thanks for the help.

10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i hate the fs 80r i have, i think its total junk, dunno why, i just hate it, i always use my old shindaiwa, just feels better.