I need some suggestions for an area that is a PIA.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Steve V., Jun 13, 2008.

1. Steve V.

Steve V. LawnSite Member

In this modern world they build houses too close to each other (at least around here). We have nine houses on what should be an eight house cul-de-sac. That means that there is hardly any room to get around the A/C unit on the side of the house. The only way to cut behind it is with a weed eater unless I were to make a gate back there. I am thinking of pulling up all of the grass and putting lava rock down. I would start about two feet in front of the A/C unit and take it all the way back to the fence. My questions are....should I put a weed block material down under the rocks or just stay real handy with the roundup and does anyone have a better suggestion for the rocks (lava rocks kind of match the brick). Or, does anyone have a better idea altogether. Please forgive my rambling as I am in the middle of painting two rooms as I type this. Here is the area in question. I was also thinking about running the rocks down to the end of the fence towards the front of the house. When I do this, I am also going to cut the bottom six inches off of that fence and put a rot board on.

Behind AC.JPG

Fence line.JPG

Front of AC.JPG

In between house and AC.JPG
  2. huskres

huskres LawnSite Senior Member

dont put lava dont, buy some other nice rock, its really not that expensive
  3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Adding lava rock and killing the grass will only heat up the area around your A/C unit, making it less energy-efficient than before.

I'd recommend killing out the grass, then putting in a mulched bed with groundcover suitable for you climate that doesn't tend to climb, or 'grab' onto things.

Groundcover beds, so long as they're not OVER-fertilized, generally only need to be clipped down to maintain a reasonable height no more than twice a year.

I usually only use compost on my groundcovers to protect against this kind of unnecessary surge growth.