I need some suggestions on what to do here....

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by JeffNY, Apr 3, 2009.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

As you can see, its washing out, and going down the hill, into the central air unit. The water comes off the roof (no gutter) and comes down on the stones.
    Just looking for something to put in there to stop it.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member

Install Gutters. :clapping:

What first came to mind to me was burying rail-road ties at ground level. They wont wash out but I wonder how long they'd last from rotting with always being pounded with water.

3. yardatwork

yardatwork LawnSite Senior Member

You answered your own question...install a gutter. Cheap and easy fix.

4. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

You need Gutters and leaders bad. Then I would get a slab under that AC. Raise it up so it is above grade. I don't know if you just put gravel around the foundation, or if you dug for a curtain drain there.

At my place, I ran drain pipe out to the curb for my down spouts. Lot of water comes off that roof.

5. JeffNY

Here's another picture of the area im working with. Im almost thinking about digging a drain, put a grate over it, and cover it with more stone, then have it come out on the side, just past the ac unit.

[​IMG]

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Other then installing gutters you may want to do the following as well.

I would raise the AC unit a few inches. You can do it without disconnecting if you are careful.

You could also install a knee wall which will divert the flow around the unit.

Come to think of it, since the ground already slopes towards the unit I would install a knee wall anyway to divert the flow. I would also put the unit on a pad.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  7. JeffNY

The unit is on a pad, its just not high enough and the washed away dirt covers half of it already

8. betmr

betmr LawnSite Bronze Member

Judging by your second picture, it looks like you already know what to do.

And by the way, JeffNY....is that as in, Jeffersonville, NY ? That's where I come from !

If so, I'll bet that rough sawn board and batten is local lumber, Lotta mills around there.

9. JeffNY

no, sorry, My name's Jeff.

also, I haven't done anything here yet, just took pics.

10. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Something else in that second pic. Looks like you already have underground preprated lines to cary the water off probably to the street where it should go.