1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need some ZTR help (purchase question) for Toro Timecutter Z

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jayjayem3, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Jayjayem3

Jayjayem3 LawnSite Member

Hello, I want to first off thank each and everyone of you.

I LOVE this site. I love the info and the wonderful advice.
    I now am faced with a tough question, and feel that this forum is the best place to ask that question.

In the next week, I am moving to Utah from Indiana and will be starting a landscape/watergarden/lawn care business. Besides my tools, truck and trailer, my only real "asset" right now is a 2003 Toro Timecutter Z 14hp ZTR mower.
    It has around a 30-32 inch deck cut. (not very big from a commercial aspect)

Here is my question: (And MAN am I stumped)
    I know for commercial applications, the Toro just can't hang. It has a hard enough time cutting grass that is somewhat tall. I am finding myself going over it twice.
    I have the opportunity to sell the mower here in Indiana for what I paid for it.

Do you, the professionals that are doing this 24/7, feel that I should hang on to this mower, or SELL it, and get an Exmark or something commercial when I get to Utah? Would I be better off starting out with the small 14 hp Toro, or am I just limiting myself? If the Toro really has no place commercially, I don't want to waste my time in starting my business with it.

I am stuck in between a rock and a hard place. To sell or not to sell?

Please help me!
    Thanks in advance, you guys are awesome and I LOVE this place!:usflag:

2. eyes&earsopen

eyes&earsopen LawnSite Member

I'm far from the professional first off. Secondly, I would suggest that you wait until you see what you are dealing with in Utah before you decide on equipment. Once you know what you're dealing with you can adjust your equipment more better to those needs.

If it's paid for already and you think you can do some work with the unit you might want to keep it. I am not familiar with the unit so I don't know much about its productivity. Some on here will stress the importance of a commercial piece of equipment and that's not a bad bit of advice. Only you will know how time you want to spend per lawn, and then you can go from there.

You'll receive some better info as this thread grows, but that's my .02 cents. Good luck with everything either way!
  3. Jayjayem3

Thanks for your two cents........I would say your advice is worth much more than that! :rolleyes:
  4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Well if you can really get what you paid for it $ + tax then heck yes I would sell. If all else buy a brand new one where ever you move. Better yet, take that money and put a down payment on a new commercial mower. Sounds like a win win to me. You can't beat using a mower for free!!! However, if your like most americans the money would be spent before you got a new mower. Good Luck!!!
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

PLEASE sell it and get an eXmark!!!! get a commercial WB to start out then add a ZTR latter on if you need it! the WB will be more versatile to take on a large variety of lawns which is good for when you are just starting out, then when you want to make your opperation more efficient in order to quicked up your workload to add more lawns, then get the Z! the toro pos timecutter won't last! in this situation, you got paid to use that mower!..........better do it quick before the ding dong who is willing to buy it realizes what he's doing!!

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

The time cutter has no place working 8 hours a day 5 days a week- so no that is not the machine you want to start with. And if you can get what you paid for it YES sell it. You may not even need it for your own lawn in Utah and you will not have to move it. SELL_SELL_SELL!

Now wait till you see what you need before you get anything else to cut with.
  7. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

That is a sweet deal! Sell it and buy an Exmark they are the best! Hands Down
  8. Jayjayem3

Thanks for all the input!
    I do appreciate it. I think I will look for a WB at this point!

Joe :)
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

has no place in a business..... it wont last very long at all..get a commercial mower
  10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If you are looking at a smaller machine, try a toro Zmaster Z400 mower