i need someone to tell me NO!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jman00, Aug 21, 2002.

1. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

some background

iam 24 years old and have been in the bus for about 8 years now and i love it. It has always taken care of me. I am in school right now getting my degree in Landscape Architecture and have 3 years left. This was my last summer mowing because i have to do internships for the next 2 summers.

my delima

i have about 20 yards to take care of and i have a 48" walkbehind which does fine. I would love to do these in one day(sat since i go to school in a different city than my lawns, i have 2 houses) I want a Z(hp 52 with a 23kaw). I think i could do all of my yards in 1 day with this mower. I work by myself. I would love to keep the yards to pay the bills during school but what do i do next summer. would this purchase be smart or foolish. i would be able to payfor it by next spring.

for the future

can i just walk away. i would hate that, after 8 years i am kind of attached. I have people on yearly contracts(verbal) How do i handle quiting them. Should i refer them to someone else. sell my stuff. I dont know how to quit and not make anyone mad at me. All of mycustomers are friends.

I know this is long but i hardly post so i have a lot to say. One person doesnt have to answer everything. I would like some experienced guys advise.

2. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

i guess the title was confusing

i want to buy the mower but i dont think i should.

i just need some experienced guys to tell me that i can hang on a little while longer with my walkbehind.
  3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

20 lawns in one day solo??Wow!! Unless they are real small, I can't see how you would be able to get them done in one day. What happens if it rains on Saturday!!! How will you cut your accounts if you can't do them during the weekdays??? You could end up loseing them if you can't service them, and then how will you pay for the Z???:) ;) :) ED
  4. NO

Buy another mower so you can travel to mow them on the only day possable to do them.

Weather will play a huge factor in your one day of work.

Will you be interning in the same town as your lawns?

If so give them to the company you will intern for for the time you will be there.

Find a buddy looking for a part time job.

We had a dilema like this for summitgroundskeeping.
  5. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Good advice, guys!
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Get Some One to Trim For you . You Don't Need another Mower.
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

think the advice given is correct. exception being,u just happen to have
    lots o money.then get a used ,good condition
    machine. u can usually get most of your money back out o the machine,if u take care of it and things dont work out..jmho
    ps a good trader would make money on it.
  8. jman00

jman00 LawnSite Member

thanks guys

I will not be interning in the same town, and i will be interning as a landscape architect. This is inside work and will usualy require 60 hrs a week.

Most of the yards are small i can do about 10 of them in 30 min a pop if i hustle and its not 95 degrees out.

Rain does play a big role in things, and i have been lucky so far. i look at rain as god giving me a day off, if it rains too bad.

I guess the end of my business is coming soon and i just cant deal with it.

thanks again guys
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Before you just dump everything why not approach all of your customers and explain your situation to them. You are valueable to them now and will be even more valueable to them after you finish your degree. There will be some that you may not retain but you owe it to yourself to explain your situation to them.

What about scaling back until you get a feel for your time restraints. Possibly keeping the cream jobs. I doubt that it rains all day so even if you get a small rainout you will be able to catch up.

NO is a strong word and I am not gonna tell you no. Tell me no and I'll try my hardest to prove you wrong. Good Luck
  10. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

well, i would definitely explain my situation to them.......i think they would understand.........afterall they would want ya to better yourself.....

as for letting them go, anyway you can have someone help ya out and u just give them a cut of the money.......u will still be making money doing nuttin or have someone trim as mentioned..........last but not leats, is there anyway that you (if ya let them go) could work it out with them that when you get outta ur internship that you could get them back as customers again? never hurts to see if a plan can be worked out

good luck on ur internship