I need String Trimming advise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by George777, May 20, 2001.

1. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Being that this is my first season I feel weak when it comes to trimming. I would like to master my trimmer, but at this time I have not. I took off the shield so I can see better. The problem I'm having is that I keep eating off the ends of the string. I use crossfire .95
    I use a stick edger for the walkways and have noticed that the grass along the walkway is higher. I've tried to trim it so that it blends in with the grass but, have not mastered this tech. Do you lay the head on the ground and walk along the edge? or hold the trimmer at a angle?

Can someone explain how you feather? I've been trying to find a tech that works and all I end up doing is chewing up the grass.I have read several posts on trimming and understand you have to go a certain direction, also I've learned not to play with the throttle.
    Me biggest weakness is when it comes to beds. For some reason I have not been able to make it look to hot. I know speed will come with time but I have to figure out how to make it look good first.

2. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Every time I do trim, its practice.
    Pactice.
    I'm always trying to trim more evenly, to not hit the scarred mailbox post, to not scalp, ect.

The BIGGEST thing that helped me was giving up my homeowner unit and going to a commercial one!
    Next biggest would be learning how to hold it comfortably.

I'm still practicing.

BTW, What kind of machine are you running?

3. George777

from Alabama

Island Lawn, I'm running echo 2100 trimmer. I never thought that trimming would be such a challenge.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I told you to come down here and I would show you.

Now I'm sure if you did you would steal something from me!

I'm sorry , I cannot give you any advice as it is against my NEW policy.

OK, I give in.

When trimming the curbs (I consider myself to be an expert in the field by the way) you only need to take the "fuzz" as I call it off the grass. Edge first always as it will stand the grass up. Always walk right to left so the trimmer is throwing the grass back into the yard, as it does this it also leans pulls the grass towards the curb. If you walk left to right it pushes the grass toward the road and can miss some stringers. I NEVER, GET THIS, NEVER hold the trimmer flat, if you so this you might take more off than the mower assuming you mow after you trim. Hold the trimmer at an angle so the string just touches the tips of the grass, all you want to take off is the "fuzz" that is sticking up. Walk slowly until you master this grasshoppa, don't let your arms bounce either,:blob3: they need to be (imagined) suspended on springs so the trimmer head stays steady while you walk down the curb.

I will give private lessons for anyone wanting to make the trip!

Curb appeal is a critical aspect of becoming a professional, you must master this soon!

As for trimming anything else the same rule really applies, tilt the head so you only get what the mower won't get. Along edging, around trees(never hit the trunk either) against the house...........if you hold it flat you will make a mess.

Feathering is just that, blend the taller grass into the shorter grass by holding the trimmer at whatever angle you need to . In some short grass with my Stihl I let the bump knob ride right on the ground and use a sweeping motion. On taller grass you have to be very stable and don't let the head tilt one way ot the other...work the grass down little by little until you make it blend, go out a little farther than the tall stuff and work it all into a "mowed appearance". You have to control the head in order to do this job right. If that means raising the engine up to your head then so be it, if it means dropping it to the ground....so be it. The trimmer has to conform to the terrain. Always imagine that there is a solid disc on the end and ask yourself how its going to look if itgouges into the surrounding area.

OH, one more thing. ALWAYS STAND BEHIND THE GRASS YOUR ATTEMPTING TO TRIM...........did that make sense? If your trimming a walkway never stand in the walkway, stand in the grass so you can get the proper pitch on the trimmer. If you stand on the walkway your gonna mess up, same applies to a curb along the street, do not stand in the street to trim this, stand in the grass.

Trimmer control is a learned trade, it takes a while to master but you will.

If you wanna take the trimmer course in person just let me know and I will charge my normal consulting fee of $100.00 an hour.:p

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

lol, here is how you lowball. I'll only charge $97.50. haha. :cool:

It is practice and a lot of it. Just learn from all your mistakes and work from there. Good luck.

6. HOMER

SCRUB!:angry:

7. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Homeski, good info but you confused me if you go left right to left anf your standing ON the grass, would that push the grass towards the road or walk which you said not to do? Or am I just reading this wrong....

8. HOMER

I have no idea what you just said!

I walk to my left, the trimmer is turning counterclockwise pulling the grass back towards me. If you reverse this you would push the grass out towards the road and a lot of times the trimmer grabs the grass and tries to bunch it up.

9. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

OK NM read wrong =P.

10. George777

from Alabama

Hey thax Homer. i just may take you up on your offer and learn from the Master. I notice now how important string trimming is. When I come to visit I will bring my trimmer. I bet some have been doing this for a long time and still mess up. I have noticed this area to be one of my weakness and I feel if I see it done then I will learn it. I must admit I have not much of a clue how to trim. I've tried about every angle I could think of. I even tried having the head unside down.
    My trimmer moves clockwise so does that mean to gain control I need to walk from Right to Left? i would spike the engine then spike it again and now I'm starting to understand to keep it at higher rpm's. and stop playing with the throttle.