I need suggestions on how to get started in a competitive market

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big Daddy Choper, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Big Daddy Choper

Big Daddy Choper LawnSite Member

I'm new at mowing for hire, but I've been mowing since I was 10, I love doing this type of work, it's healthy, and lets face it folks there's nothing like the smell of fresh cut grass, I just need suggestions on how to get started.:usflag:

2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

Register your business with your Secretary of State. HERE

Get your Tax ID # HERE

Get a License if your state requires it.

Get liability insurance, 1-2million is what people typically claim to carry here on Lawnsite.

Make sure you have reliable equipment. If you must buy, get commercial equipment if at all possible. Buy used commercial before new residential. Borrowing can be bad, most people swear it will break you in the long run. Don't borrow money unless you have no other alternative.

Advertise, Advertise, and Advertise. Fliers, Yellow Pages, Newspaper, Door Hangers, etc.

Don't lowball just to get a big list of clients. You are doing this to MAKE MONEY, lowballing is not going to make you enough money to stay in business. Charge what YOU think YOUR service is worth. If you don't get any of your bids, chances are you are priced a little high, adjust accordingly.

Treat every client with respect, and work like every lawn you mow is free advertising. If you do good work, exceptional work, word of mouth is the absolute best form of advertising. Work to the best of your ability every time you step onto someone's lawn, and always strive to improve on what you are already capable of.

I'm sure i missed something, so read THIS article from Missouribusiness and make sure you've covered all your bases. And remember, all your base are belonging to us.

3. Big Daddy Choper

Thanks Paulup, I appreciate all the good ideas I can get, even if they are not my own!

4. Big Daddy Choper

testing testing

5. Big Daddy Choper

testing, testing

6. Paulup

spamming your post won't get you more replies. Be patient, this is a work day for most guys.

7. Big Daddy Choper

I'm not trying to. I just don't know what I'm doing on these things! I'm trying to figure out how everyone is putting these equipment lists up.

8. Paulup

Click User CP, click Edit Signature, in the box, enter your equipment, hitting the Enter(return) key every time you want it to go to a new line. Then click Submit.

9. Big Daddy Choper

Great! Thanks! Also how would I put my e-mail address on here?

10. Paulup

type it in.........