I need the perfect mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fubba, May 14, 2006.

1. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I recently picked up a fairly large condominium complex. In the back area, they have a creek running out to a pond. It is extremely wet because of springs all over this area. There are a few places that I can't even stand on without sinking down. I used a Murray 22" :laugh: on it this first time. It did well, however, it took FOREVER. I guess it's time to get a walk-behind. I know nothing about walk-behinds. It has to be light, about 32"-36" and pretty dang manuverable. The only other place that it will be used right now is for a small gated area in another yard so I don't want to fork out a lot of money for something that isn't going to be used full-time. Any suggestions for my perfect mower?

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

To be honest with you just about any 32" or 36" WB will work perfectly for you. I highly recommend gravely, exmark, toro, bobcat or any of the big name brands. Just dont get a scag if you care about how well it cuts. Our 36" scag is horrible. Built like a bomb shelter but the it cuts like crap. Also if it is always wet I would suggest getting a hydro so you dont have wheel belts to get wet and slip.

3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i can tell you the toro 32 does not like wet conditions at all! belt slip big time and rapid wear on them when wet. great mower otherwise

4. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definitely buy a hydro with the wet conditions. I would recommend Scag, Exmark, Toro, John Deere, Hustler all these make excellant machines.

5. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler 36 WB Pay a little xtra and get the hydro! Good luck!

6. benmc

benmc LawnSite Member

Okay man I used a 52" snapper walk behind w/ a velke for several years so I know what I am talking about when it comes to walk behinds.1.gotta have power (wet grass) 2.gotta have hydro ( easier to operate ) 3.gotta have electric start (when you get to job you want to mow not pull cord on large motor).....Ck out Better outdoor products . I own the super duty . Just got it
    You Gotta Have Faith because you will have to buy the mower sight unseen just like I Did. I would not recommend this to you except for one reason If you purchase this piece of equip. You will never regret it... How Many products are out there that you can say that about. I have been a service adviser at a Mitsu dealer and Dodge so I have some technical knowledge, I have personally operated in a commercial setting , Ex Mark ,Toro , Yazoo , John Deere , Snapper etc. Ck out there web site you will be glad you did ,,,I am

7. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not knocking them, but what do you do when something breaks or you needs blades? Those would be concerns anyone who operates a lawn service should worry about, I think.

8. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Go take a look at a Simplicity pacer. I have one and it's awesome. Never gives me any trouble on my bank repo's. And also it lays some nice stripes. I bought mine for $1,800, it's all hydro and floating deck. There are no spacers on this unit to change deck height, just a twist of a knob to make the deck go up or down. I would recommend this unit to anyone. Easy controls, just a push of your thumb and it goes forward or reverse. I let three of buddy's who are in lawn care business use my unit guess what with in two weeks they each had one.

9. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Consider the Lesco gear drive 32 for around 2,200$?

10. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

get a 52" exmark hyrdo walk behind. more manueverable than any belt drive smaller machine. forward neutral and reverse is all in the hand grips, no changing gears. spend the money, trust me. quit messin around with smaller machines.

whatever you do, get hydro and get bigger than 36", unless you absolutely cannot fit it in there. trust me though, hyro steering makes a 52" easier to move around than a 21" push mower.