I need the phone to ring

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rochester, Mar 28, 2001.

1. rochester

rochester LawnSite Member

New guy here. WAITE, read on- Im not a scrub. Im starting this as a side business. Got my truck (lettered) trailer, 48" walk behind, echo trimmer and blower, and business insurance. My goal is to have 10-15 loyal lawn customers that I will treat like gold. My problem is that I have disributed about 150 flyers and I have only recieved a few calls. At this point I only have one person signed up. My price is at the low end of the going rate for this area (I refuse to ruin this market by low balling). My questions are : do people usually waite till the last minute to call? should I keep up w/ more flyers or waite and see ? (flyers have been out there a week) Is their some incentives I can offer that will maintain my price but intice new customers?

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Expect a 3-5 % call back rate, sounds like you have that. I have had calls this week from flyers that I gave out over a month ago, people call when they are ready, not you, that's the way it is. :)

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

150 fliers is not enough to get your name out there.
    It takes time. Put out more fliers, and advertise in the newspaper under your local service directory.

And yes, as the season fast approaches, and the grass starts needing cut, you will get more calls. But to get the calls people have to know your name. Advertise, advertise, advertise.

Also please fill in your location in your profile. It helps everyone when it comes time to answer your questions.

4. rochester

sorry Maj. Tom , Its there now.

5. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

That first year is tough. I went all season with only 2 clients last year. I only got 4 so far this year, mostly by word of mouth and a few business cards here and there. I already lost one to the clients son, he said he'd give him 30 days and if he didn't keep it up I could have it back. That was my first commercial account too. Hang in there and try not too buy too much stuff right off the bat. The only thing I had to buy was a better mower and a blower. Got to buy another blower now though. I refuse to lowball at all. I've had people say I thought it might be in the $20-22 range and I have to always say I'm sorrry. I've got one lawn I mow for $25 and it's my wifes Aunt. You might try to get some clean ups, I've done 2 in the last 2 weeks and one person paid me more than I asked for when I got done because they said I worked so hard and it looked so good.

6. rochester

Thanks for the responses.... More flyers going out tomorrow.
    How bout new customer incentives, any ideas?

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I kinda had that gut feeling you were from Rochester NY, but I wasn't absolutely certain on it.
    Thanks for filling in your profile. :)

8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm about 3-4 rezzies away from having a full schedule so I'm passing out about 1000 flyers to get those lucky 3 or 4 who are going to pay well above average prices for excellent service and one heckuva sales pitch.

9. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

Well this is not going to be negitive, but you have entered a very competitive buisness, that at the time is very populated. However you have one thing on your side its a side buisness, dont woryy word of mouth will travel, however it is said and true for us anyway that the first three years if you see any profit you are doing well. This buisness has lots of chances,and choices to make...keep your head up..the buisness will come in time...and dont ever listen to people who say you cant make it!

10. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Member

Take some of the houses around the ones or one that you have and knock on the door and give them your "shpeal"(I am looking for some good customers, I do good work, talk talk talk) I found when I was first in business this worked. Once you get some customers and get a reputation your in. I have never done on bit of advertising and have about 95 total full service customers and I am pretty comfortable. But I have 26 on one street, 20 on another, 15 on another etc. I only have 3 full time employees and 2 trucks and you would be very surprised to hear what I make clear in a year. Oh this is the beggining of my 7th season.