I need the STIHL Service Manual for BR500-600 blower --STIHL 4180 manual "i think"

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jlbf0786, Oct 12, 2009.

1. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Charlotte, NC

I'm having trouble out of a BR550 blower, I bought a 550 and 600 from a fella last wk, and i'm pretty sure the BR550 needs the valves set.. its not a carb problem.

I took a look at the valves, but im not going to mess w/ it before getting the proper setting requirements.

If anyone has access to the STIHL Service Manual for these machines please send me a link or file. (i think its the Stihl 4180 service manual)-but im not sure.

Preciate it,

j. barringer
    charlotte nc

2. mnms0562000

mnms0562000 LawnSite Member

How old is the machine? Is it very hard to turn over?

3. jlbf0786

Male, from Charlotte, NC

I think its about 2-1/2 yrs old, its not hard to turn over though.
    It ran earlier, but it acted almost like the throttle wasnt adjusted tight enough to keep the rpm's up. but the throttle wasnt the issue, i screwed the Throttle (T) in turn by turn and it didnt raise the RPM's much-"if any"

I know the carb is clean, i set the H/L needles as follows:
    H= 3-1/2 turns
    L= 2 turns
    the throttle had no impact on it wether it was turned in all the way or not.. so thats what got me thinking it was the Valves.

any ideas???

4. mnms0562000

mnms0562000 LawnSite Member

I'll check the manuals we have at work tomorrow and let you know what I find. I know stihl has been having issues with the BR550 and 600 blowers.

Also, have you tried adjusting the throttle on the blower tube?

5. jlbf0786

Male, from Charlotte, NC

mnms0562000,

I appreciate it!

Yeah, I checked the throttle linkage after i checked the carb settings..
    it was good to go.
    It was running poor the day i bought the 2 blowers, the 600 runs great but this 550 is having some issues.

but i feel like ive checked about everything that can be checked that would cause this issue.. (besides gauging the valves that is!) i know you have to reset the valves about every 100-150 hrs. and i bet this unit has atleast that amt. on it and then some.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Just search this forum for "BR600" there is a lot of info in adjusting those valves.

7. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

Is it running steady at full throttle but just doesnt seem to run fast enough? If so, you might want to try a new tip on the blower tube. If the tube wears out and is too big the blower will not get full rpms

8. jlbf0786

Male, from Charlotte, NC

I cant figure it out at this point...
    I found the proper valve settings online, set the valves using a modified feeler guage i made..(just cut the feeler guage to fit under the rocker arm)

and its still running like crap..

any input would be really appreciated!

thanks

jb
    charlotte nc

9. jlbf0786

Male, from Charlotte, NC

I set the valves w/ one of the Stihl guages, didnt help anything!

When i got it, the spark plug wire was cut off where the boot attaches..
    so i spliced another wire/boot to the wire.

I checked it w/ an ignition light, seems to be getting fire fine.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am a two stroke guy but I'll bump you along. On two stroke you would check to be sure the crank seals are okay ...in place. I would run a test carb on the unit but I guess both of yours aren't working? Pull the gas lines and suck on line to be sure it is getting gas. I guess the valves may not be seating...build-up on them maybe.