I need the STIHL Service Manual for BR500-600 blower --STIHL 4180 manual "i think"

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jlbf0786, Oct 12, 2009.

1. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Charlotte, NC

bumpity bump bump!

need'n some help!

2. mowerknower

mowerknower LawnSite Senior Member

could you be a little more specific with how its running. Have you done a cylinder leakdown test yet. If the previous owner ran crappy oil there is a good chance that the exhaust valve is shot. You could also check flywheel key. Have you pulled the carb? Ive seen guys pull the carbs and then put it back on without hooking up the impule tube, it will run but run poor.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Do a compression check to see if the valves are holding. Then do a leak test if compression test is okay. Leaks can be found by running the unit and spraying carb cleaner around the crank shaft, the head and the carb gaskets.

4. mowerknower

\
    Yeah thats the best test, not.

5. mowerknower

Leaks can be found by running the unit and spraying carb cleaner around the crank shaft, the head and the carb gaskets.[/QUOTE]
    \
    Yeah thats the best test, not.
    That will just tell you if theres is a vacuum leak not a presure leak

6. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

This one will throw ya for a loop....

Make sure the gap between ignition coil & flywheel is not to great. The coil should be very close to flywheel. If it is to wide of a gap, it can have issues idling, hard starts, low rpm, lack of power. :usflag:

7. jlbf0786

Male, from Charlotte, NC

I dont have a compression test kit on hand, I went to Harbor Frieht today and never thought about it. (probably could've gotten it cheap)

Anyway, its not cranking at all! - I hooked up a spark tester and its getting fire.. but I now think its an issue w/ the fuel getting to the carb!

I put a new fuel filter on, but i went to reinstall the plastic groment that the lines come from and the lip broke, I will get a new one tomorrow and let yall know if was the issue.
    And if it starts up then i'll see how good of a job i done on the valves.

And i did check the spacing between the coil and flywheel, its supposed to be .008" so thats what i set it at.

I am getting really fed up w/ even messing with this blower, its really not worth it to be honest!

8. jlbf0786

Male, from Charlotte, NC

Have any of you ever made your own compression test kits?

9. jlbf0786

Male, from Charlotte, NC

I finally got the BR550 running, now its not wanting to idle correctly.

I did adjust the carb to the factory "fine tuning" settings of:
    H= 3-1/2
    L= 2

The idle adjustment screw can be all the way in and it doesnt make much of a difference, it still doesnt want to idle correctly.. it wants to cut off.

Im not sure if it could be the valve adjustments i made, but i did it to spec. using the Stihl vavle adjustment guage.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Here's where to find your manual, not going to walk you through it:
    http://www.stihlusa.com/

Golly, a silly test gauge thing is like $5 or $10 at the store...