1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

I need to fire a customer that loves me ( predicament!)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Mar 1, 2004.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I took on a new customer last summer. A bunch of people warned me not to take her on. I noticed she bad mouthed all the other land scapers that shes had.

She is on a prestiges road, and it was a good size place so I took it on. $50.00 a cut and it takes me about an hour.

However shes the type to complain that I missed a spot here or there. Oh the last guy always mowed under that bush, or this bush. ( stuff that hadn't been touched in years). It got to the point where if I saw her car in the driveway I would keep driving and mow her another time.

To to top it off she doesn't pay on time. She still owes me around $300 from the season still. She will come up to me and hand me $200 and say I think this covers everything. Then she always has questions about my statement ( invoice). I don't think you even came on this day, she would say.

One day I helped her run a string along her property line. It was through woods and prickers. She has a bad hip, so I thought I would do her a favor. I never charged her. Then she has the balls to say I'm over charging her, because I didn't mow on a particular day, when I know I was there.

The problem is she loves me. When her dog died she broke down a cried right there in front of me. I think I even gave her a hug. Some how I got elected to be her emotional tampon. If I'm there and she is, I'm in trouble.

She likes to damage people her hurt her feelings. She will drag my name through the dirt like she has every one else. Shes also politically powerful in town.

How do I drop her and not hurt her feelings?

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

john--you don't need to fire her. you need to fire yourself for letting her get behind and for bidding a job at $50/hr.

as for the complaining, pay no attention.

as for her loving you, pay no attention to that either.

she'd cry on the paper boys shoulder too if he'd slow down long enough to let her.

GEO

3. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

uh, ask her if she wants sex

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

If it bothers you that bad who cares if it hurts her feelings if she is that big a pain. Its obvious people know she does it intensionally, because you were warned by many people. I dont see how she could ruin your reputation when people dont believe her in the first place. Next time listen to all the people who said watch out.

5. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

emotional tampon-that's a new one! LOL

Just drop her. You have tried different things to make her happy and still nothing. You don't deserve so much frustration over one client.

6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't let "feelings" run your business. Drop her.

7. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Raise the price to $75 and tell her you switching to a pay first system, because people are always paying late, and then you cant pay your bills.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

let me do her lawn for 2 months, she'll hate me so much she won't even remember that you dumped her. then she can badmouth me. who cares, everyone else does it too, and i havn't lost a minutes sleep over it yet. dump her. send a dear jane letter.

9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Due to downsizing, some maintenance scheduling will be changed. This will unfortunately impact certain customers in certain areas, as we will no longer be doing maintenance in these areas, or doing this type of work with the particular crew that will be servicing the area. We are sorry for any inconvenience, and will gladly pass your account on to one of our professional peers, if so desired. Thank you and blah blah blah.

Something like that?

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

u win the statement of 2004 emoitional tampon
    just drop her tell her she is behind on payments and u r going to turn it over to a collection agenciy and when u mail this to her send it as a registered letter so u have a reciept
    she will pay up she wont want her friends to think she is a dead beat:cry: