1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need to raise 3k sq feet up 2 feet....

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Aug 26, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

For a job i am doing i need to raise 3k sq feet 2 feet. 2000 sq feet of that area will be patio. Now why is it neccessary i use road base for this. Why can't i just import clean fill and compact with a bomag trench compactor? Isn't dirt compacted a 95% the same as stone at 95%?

Please explain to me why this can not be done??? I am building a 2 teir retaining wall right now where the 2nd teir is built on compacted imported fill. The engineer okayed this. So why is everyone always using stone to build areas up?
  2. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

I would look into what we call "flowable fill".
  3. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

Who says it can't be done? Anything can be done with geogrid and proper compaction.
  4. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

honestly, I think it can be done without issue. It's just that ICPI cant assume that all clean fill situations will meet compaction density/suitable base material. So they spec a material that gaurentees suitable fill for SRW or ICP applications.

Drainage properties I would assume, but in your situation I doubt that will be an issue with the slope of the patio.

Question: Did the engineer do any soil tests to give the ok? Just curious
  5. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I think you are right 95 % compacted is 95 % compacted. My only question to you is the proctor density, not a term I am really all that familiar with but I think it is the measure of density that is an issue here not the percentage of compaction, again I'm not trying to argue a point I do not fully understand but I'd rather mention it and have someone provide info than leave it unsaid and have your wall fail because not everything was asked. Good luck with that project, and others. I need to talk to you about the winter, give me a call when you have a minute..........Ed
  6. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Is this a real question, by the way the answer is no.

Most soil in the United States, and probably in your region, is classified as
    clay. If it is not classified as a clay soil, but has 30% clay in its makeup, it
    behaves like clay. Clay soils hold moisture, therefore they will expand during freeze-thaw cycles. Also, it will retain moisture behind the retaining wall and cause hydrostatic pressure. These are the two basic reasons not to use soil as fill.