1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need to sell my husband's business...need advise

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by goofyjumper, Apr 11, 2008.

1. goofyjumper

goofyjumper LawnSite Member

I am new here and I don't want to give a long story but my Husband has a lawn maintenance business that he built up to very high clientel.

Well, last December he was murdered. He was actually murdered by one of his employees. Since then, my Dad has been running the business the best he can by himself. I cannot do it because I work full time.

We have lost a lot of clients do to the whole crappy situation and I am trying to get the business sold for the most I can.

I have recently got an offer from a prospect but it seems too low for what I believe it is worth.

We have a trailer, lawn equipment that is paid off, and still have some good commercial accounts.

My question is, how do I know what a good offer is and has anyone ever done this before?

My husband worked so hard to build it up and I hate to just let it go for so little. I just need to know what realities I face and if I can get anything for it?

Any advise would help. Thanks
  2. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

post a list of the equipment and how old it is and it would help it just hard to guess without any info , I am sure others will be willing to help
    And I am sorry to here about your husband
  3. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear for your loss.
  4. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

Same Here!
  5. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

First things first, my deepest condolences to you and your family. Concerning the business, equipment should be sold based on a combination of condition and age. $1500-$3000 for gear drive walk behind mowers. $2000-$4000 for hydrostatic walk behind mowers. Greater than $4000 for mid-mount zero-turn riders. Any old-style riders with the operator sitting behind the machine(3 years or older) go for $2500-$4500. Trimmers, blowers, edgers and small power equipment sells for $50-$200 a piece used. Sell your trailers for 70-80% of an equally equipped model new. Current clients should be sold for whatever you are grossing financially from them for the balance of the current year's contract, unless you are in a hurry to unload them. This is just what I would do.
  6. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

i will say a prayer for you, your family & husband, may god have mercy. What about some type of estate auction?
  7. Frontstreetlawns

Frontstreetlawns LawnSite Member

clientel can go for about 3 months gross here
  8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

wow. that is really horrible. my heart goes to you. all the best in this
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It would be my advice to take the offer.
  10. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Like someone stated above. If you post the equipment list we can definitely give you a ballpark answer on the equipment. You can also. You might not want to do this, but you can post the company's gross and that would help get an idea. Also, on this site there is free classified ad space and a Network with people from your area forums. That might help you, also. Don't take any offers that you think are way too low, unless you need to get out really quickly.