I need to start looking for a new 1/2 ton...

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by gutpiles, Feb 17, 2008.

1. gutpiles

gutpiles LawnSite Member

I know... all half tons are crap...they cant tow...buy a diesel...lol:rolleyes: Im running my old mans dodge ram 1500 4.7 right now, but since Ill be out of high school and mowing full time this spring im going to need to buy my own truck. I work solo and I only use a 12x6 open trailer w/ a 36", a 52", and a couple 21" walk behinds. I see no need to spend alot of money buying a bigger truck when im not towing around that much of equipment. Plus ill be using it as a personal truck as well.

I have heard bad things about the dodges although I have never experienced any problems with my dads ('02 57,000 miles.) I was looking at the ford f-150s and they seemed to have plenty of towing power especially w/ the 5.4 liter engine. Im probably going to buy a new or slightly used totally stripped down truck(2wd, no air, ect to save money.) All I want is a clean, proffesional looking vehicle that will tow. Anyone here have experience w/ the '08 f-150 yet?

2. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

F-150's still remains the top selling truck in AMERICA....go FORD...
    This year I'm upgrading, it's between a 4x4 Ranger or F-150 4x4 nothing older than 98. Plan to put a small plow on one or the other, come this next winter...
    A f-150 would be the route I'd take if I was you..

3. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not trying to start a Chevy /Ford war, but I started my company with a Chevy Silverado 1500 and just upgraded to a 2500 HD. I love them and would buy nothing else.

4. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

F-found
    O-On
    R-Road Side
    D-Dead

F-Fix
    O-Or
    R-Repair
    D-Daily

Im going to buy a new chevy this next week... a 2006, 4X4 1500 with 14,000 miles on it. its pretty cheep for having so low of miles on it, but my main deal is dont settle for a 2 wheel drive. you will regret it forever my little nissan is a 2 wheel drive and im sick of it....sprink the extra pennies and get a 4X4 just my .02

5. gutpiles

gutpiles LawnSite Member

why get 4wd? The 2wd gets better gas mileage & tows more! I don't plow at all and it just seems a waste to buy a 4wd...

6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

2001 ford F250 super duty 25000 MILES with hiniker c plow.

7. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i got a 2000 gmc sierra with 83k miles i need to get rid of. i need something extended cab because my daughter can reach the shifter with her foot. lol

8. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

All the half tons suck for towing and have sucky transmissions and rear ends. Get a Chevy or GMC 1500HD or 2500 (HD or not). They have the 14 bolt rear end, 4L80 tranny which is indestructible, and the 6.0L V8. Can't go wrong with that setup and you can get it in a crew cab short bed or extended cab long bed.

9. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

or if you're patient like I was, you'll find one in a quadrasteer. :)

Not that you would need that necessarily but it is so cool!!

10. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

overkill unless youre towing a skidsteer? with a 1k of mowers and a trailer, any truck will work.