I need to vent for a minute

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Soupy, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I spent all night working on a problem I had with QuickBooks Pro. I finally got it all figured out after many, many hours. This really isn't my problem though. I just wanted to let you all know I am wired in-case I don't make any sense.

I come to lawnsite after taking a break for a couple of days and all of the sudden I am reading about Lowballers in every other thread (I know it has always been bad, but not this bad) and How we should all want to be like Wal-Mart and how a Pizza coupon should be compared to how we charge our customers. So I thought I would say a few words about each.

LowBalling: When someone intentionally under prices the other guy. This is when you either know the price before hand and come in lower and nothing but the other guys price is what you based your price on. Or, you went to a potential customer and said you would do it for X amount lower then what they are paying now. Again not taking into account any cost or what you regular charge or anything.

It is not because somebody might have a lower price.

Wal-Mart: Is a retail store and in no way sells service. Apples and Oranges and should never be compared to lawn care. They are bad for america and we should all boycott them. Besides Kmart and Sears are merging and I can't wait until I can go to Kmart and buy a Kenmore Washer and dryer :)

Pizza coupons: Wow, This one seems odd to me. To think that if you use a pizza coupon you are contributing to lowballers. Oh forget it, I'm not even going to comment further on this one.

I think we can all agree that retails store lowball to get business. Most will even come right out and say we will beat any advertised price by x amount. But what does that have to do with a service oriented business like lawn care? Don't you think it would be better to compare lawn care to plumbing and other service oriented business's? When was the last time a plumber came to your door and said they will beat anyones price?

Just my pennies worth.

2. Soupy

I just added another thread about lowballing. Go ahead and call me a hypocrite. I deserve it. But please remember the definition of lowballing when you leave this thread.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Soupy
    The reason for all the threads latley about lowballing is becouse of trolling. That all it is and nothing more.

Mac

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I agree Mac it's Trollers. I took a 3 week break from here and when I returned there sure were a lot of new members and a lot of trolling.

Also tell Odin if you talk to him that Sgt Leggett my bro in law is safe and home for good, last week from his year in Iraq.

5. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

And pure Winter Boredom!

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Soupy
    I think thats a great definition you gace for Lowballer.Some guys will work cheaper because their overhead is lower or what ever but I think you hit it right in there.

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Back to the Pizza there was once a national competition for best pizza in the country some place in Chicago won but 2nd and 3rd place went to 2 pizza places on the same street in New Haven. Perhaps I am spoiled But I don't care if your giving me the pizza for free with the coupon if its not Pepe's its Crap and I don't want to even taste it. Speaking of which I am now in the mood for a white clam pie to bad itÂ’s snowing now and its only 10:30 am.

8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

:blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

Whoa!!! Sounds like you are calling making fund of Hackerbacker's analogies!!! Are you making fun of him? What's with all the ridicule? You guys on Lawnsite are such Brutes!!!

Can't we all just get along, always agree, and just be friends???

:p

9. Soupy

No, if I was name calling I would have changed the 2nd and the 7th letter. But I won't tell you to what :)

Actually I wasn't singling anyone out. I just noticed that several of the threads were mentioning lowballers and Walmart. Then there was this one thread that mentioned Pizza's. None if made any sense to me But I have been up all night. Actually it is noon and I still have not been a sleep. I better start snoozing fast, My kids will be home in 3 hours. :sleeping:

10. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Some good news in this post can't let it get by unnoticed. It's always real good to hear some good news ...with all the bad news were hearing these days.