I Need Training

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Bluegrass Lawn Service, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I have been in the lawn maintenance business for 11 years. We depend on our mowing business mainly but have a fair landscape and landscape maintenance business. I would like to break into the Irrigation business but want the training first. We have installed one irrigation system several year ago but would like a hands on training course or to visit another company for several day or a week to learn the in and outs. However you must realize that i'm aroung 58 years old. However I'm still willing to learn. Can anyone help direct me forward?
  2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

It's going to be a little tough perhaps. Normally one would hook up with a local irrigation company to get that training. However, it would have to be the right situation as most of those guys wouldn't want to take on someone who will eventually be their competition. You'll probably have to find someone that is so inundated with service calls that they would welcome having someone else in the area to take the pressure off them.
  3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I am in the process of learning residential installations... I have installed about 4-5 systems since February. Before that I barely knew how to change a head. I would just read-up on www.irrigationtutorial.com. I learned more from that one website than my buddy learned in a college irrigation class. I think you just have to jump in w/ both feet, and be prepared to lose money at first. I did my first installation for cost and my first repairs for costs... but I have definately earned the money back. It seems I learn something new each time I repair a system... I don't think the learning ever stops.

It seems to me installing systems might be hard on you(considering your age..not to offend) if you don't have laborers to do all of the back-breaking work. You might want to lean toward repair, if you don't have some guys that will break their back for you.