1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need you guys opinion.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by robinsonr5018, Dec 27, 2007.

1. robinsonr5018

robinsonr5018 LawnSite Member

I made my first bid on a residential customer. She accepted the bid but refuse to sign a services agreement or an annual contract. This my first account in the most prestiege community in the city. I didn't mention her husband is my childrens doctor and have known the couple for over 15 years. I don't think she would screw me but I'm worried. I need to mention, I went to do the estimate the day after her lco was out. He only mowed the backyard and didn't edge or trim. She's paying him for hedge trimming also, It look like the hedges haven't been trimmed in a while. Please give me your opinion, I appreciate everything I read and value the opinion of the ones with experience. Thank You. :):)
  2. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Opinion on what? What is the question?
  3. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

if she will not sigh , don't do any work for her . she is pro bally up to no good . most people friend or not will act like your best friend until something goes wrong .. i would not do anything with out a signature!!!!
  4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Would the service contract lock her into a specific amount of time? Mabye that is what she is afraid of. My contracts state that they can be terminated at any time by myself or the customers, and I have never had an issue with a customer signing one.

I also have a very low turnover rate for customers, if you are dependable and do quality work, that will lock them in.

Also... If she does not want to sign a contract that does not lock her in for a year, she is planning on not paying you, dispite the fact that her husband is your doctor. (Doctors are the worst sometimes to get money out of)
  5. robinsonr5018

The services agreement doesn't lock her into any specific time. I only state I agree to a certain job for this amount of pay. The services agreement can be terminate with a written notices. I read the posting on her and I'm concern about taking care of my business. And Hackitdown, I wanted your opinion on do I service this customer or not.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

A good place to just say no.....tell her you are looking for customers that want their yard done all year and are willing to pay 12 equal payments. The only people we run into that won't sign is old people......and our experience has taught us that it is better to just pass on them and let them get a lawn boy.
  7. robinsonr5018

I forgot to mention she want to pay by the job.
  8. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

It is your company so you should do what you are comfortable with. I have customers with contracts and customers without. I start some jobs without down payments and others that I won't start without a check in hand. I would find out why she is hesitant to sign. If you are comfortable with her answer then do the work, if not you can walk away.
  9. robinsonr5018

She said she hesitant because they got sued in the past. I do know they have the money to pay but with a new company I can't afford to get rook for my money. I'm very willing to work with people. I have always been a pretty good judging people. I also going to be doing a mulch job for them and they appear to be appreciative of my ideas to improve their yard.
  10. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

It's up to you. Let us know what you decide.