i need you to come back......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 23, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

we finish cleaning all the leaves at this property. the lady hires a gutter service to come, clean the gutters, blow off the roof. the guys blow massive amounts of leaves onto the lawn, and in the beds. she asks them to pick them up. he says they don't do that. she calls and tells me i need to come back and clean them. i tell her this will cost extra. she aint happy. anyone going back for free?

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Nnnnnnnope.

3. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Go back for free? No way! I would have to charge for the extra clean up time. But I have to say that is a sorry gutter crew. If our going to clean gutters with a blower then you need to clean up the mess. Or just scoop them out by hand and not make a mess. That was a sorry crew.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

originally posted by yard pro:" yes, i'll go back for free, and then i'll play golf with her husband. it's called customer service."

5. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Bobby,
    I would probably go back and take care of the problem for her. Without my clients, I'm out of business. Sure, it really isn't my fault or problem. But, my client will remember it. Being professional or nice doesn't always mean an instant trip to the bank, however, happy customers will keep me going to the bank. Sometimes it is nice to be nice.

6. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Hell no. I had a smiliar problem a couple years ago. Lady calls me in late Oct and wants final cleanup. I go over and tell her that all the leaves arent down yet and she says go ahead and do it anyway. So i do. I send the bill at the end of the month and another month goes by and no payment.

I call her and she tells me that were leaves all over the yard a week after i left.

S*** hit the fan after she said that. The bill was 750 bucks, i had spent a day and half cleaning it up.

I told her that before i started i had explained to her that there was still leaves on the trees and she had told me to do it anyway. She said she knew that but hadnt expected them to fall. I said that was stupid.

She ended up paying me after 3 months and numerous harrasing phone calls from me.

7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

She may not be happy, but she has to pay.

8. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

If I had a client call me to come back and clean up anouther persons mess then that client or persons is gonna be paying extra. Customer service and loyalty is one thing but being someones stully is out of the question.

9. lawnmowingboys

lawnmowingboys LawnSite Member

Why didn't you clean the gutters?
    What was in the gutters leaves? I thought you were on her property to do a leaf job?

10. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

So if a painter leaves paint chips from scraping old paint to put on the new paint,,, you going to pick ip the chips for free too. Point is you can not do work for free to clean someone else's mess up that GOT PAID TO DO THEIR JOB halfa$$.