i need you to lower your price....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Oct 25, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this just in: i have a lawn mowing client, first year. they use blanklawn for ferts. they have irrigation, but still thier lawn had more crabgrass and was of overall poorer quality, than most . they booted blanklawn, and asked me for a price for aerating/thatching/seeding, as well as fert program for next season. the lawn is 6,000 sq ft. i quoted $600+ tax for thatch/aeration/seed. this was the phonecall i just recieved:" bob i recieved your quote, and i'm afraid it's too much. we have had this service done many times in the past, and it was never even close to this high. please rework your quote, and give me a call, we need to agree on a lower price." NOW, there are 2 ways to go about this-#1- tell him go screw. #2- jack up the price on the leaf cleanup (not yet quoted) and keep fert program the same while using 1/2 rates, and skipping a couple apps (hey, the flag only costs 10 cents), which will allow me to go lower on the aeration+ seeding by maybe $75 bucks. easy lawn, never complains, payments are there in full and never late. opinions

2. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

as long as i was making onmey on the deal and not losing i would consider doing it. but i will still keep in mind the ideal profit margin that you need. sounds like you havea good client and i would make an effort to keep them. i would try to make the diffrence up on leaf cleanup.

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

see if u can bend a little to make more in the long run

4. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

its sounds like a good deal as it is its hard tell from this end what potential is in other work if you sre going to bend a little be careful not to bend over

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

"never complains"??? He is complaining already. I am in the position now to pick which new customers I take on and which ones I walk away from. Any prospect that says they want a lower price, I walk away. Try going to your local fuel or equipment dealer and say you want a lower price. This will make them chukle.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I would highlight the fact it was done many times in the past. Obviously incorrectly. And that is why the price is what it is...to get the job done right the first time. Seems pretty simple to me.

7. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

No I woundn't change the price. Usually in this circumstance I tell the customer that the lawn looks like cr@p because the last guy wasn't charging enough and it usually works.So I stick to my price. No way in hell I would alter my app. schedule just to fool a penny polisher.

8. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

i was wrong bobby dont drop your pants for him kick him in the walnuts

9. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

I would do as others have said and stick with the price. Do a nice job with quality seed and make a nice profit.

I would hate for this one client to push me into unethical practices. Once you go down that road....well, you're down that road.

10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Rod,
    Thats what I was thinking too!
    Unless i missed something in that estimate I would tell the customer that if they want the job done right, this is the price or call Blank lawncare back to try again.