1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

i need you to re-seed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bobbygedd, Oct 11, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what's the deal on this: seeded a not so steep slope, but with all the rain comming hard and heavy, immediately after we finished, some of the seed washed down. client is demanding a re-seed. do you?
  2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

What does the contract say? You could be a hardazz and say not responsible...act of god...bla bla bla, or cough up a couple bucks and 5 min in seed to keep a happy customer, if they are worth it. Depends on your situation.
  3. bobbygedd

from NJ

"not responsible for acts of god"...this covers about anything that can happen
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

How big of a job and how much seed? Maybe redo for cost of seed only....
  5. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

They agreed to pay for an application of product in the hope that it would grow for them, given whatever weather would come. You agreed to spread the seed, maybe you guaranteed it would grow or not, I dont know. Easy fix for a customer you might want to keep. What are they worth to you?
  6. nate1422

nate1422 LawnSite Member

Throw down a smoke screen....I mean some seed. I have a slope on my yard that I reseeded about 2 weeks ago, the rains came (6") and there was some washout but a lot of the seed is starting to germinate. Just because you see some seed that washed out doesn't necessarily mean that all the seed did.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Had this happen only once...it was for a friend of mine. I had already given him a big break in price and fore-warned him that it was going to rain. I gave him advice on how to fix and sold him some seed at my cost, but that was it.

In your case, I would probably want to help make it right, but there would be a charge involved.
  8. bobbygedd

from NJ

so let me ask you, why would you absorb the cost, of replacing product, that was destroyed, as the result of an act of god? i'm just curious. i gave the client exactly what i said i would.
  9. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

It is a touchy situation you have there. If this guy is a good customer and is reasonable you might try bargaining with him.

One approach might be this if you want to keep him happy.
    Tell him if you get the seed I will spread it out for you.

PS: I know your contract has a clause covering "Acts of God" . But do you want to keep him or loose him over a few minutes of spreading seed ?
  10. bobbygedd

from NJ

but nosmo.....if he agreed, and assuming he understood, before signing, that we aren't responsible for acts of god, why would he expect me, to take my hard earned money, from my wallet, to seed HIS LAWN? and why, if i refuse, should i be at risk of losing the client? afterall, you heard geo, we are so poor, my children recieve free meals at school. can't a poor man get a break around here?