1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I need your advice.Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gil, Oct 18, 2005.

1. gil

gil LawnSite Member

Next season I will just have 10 accounts. In addition to lawn moving I also do hardscaping. The lawns I will have are around 10,000sf each. I have been mowing with my 22" toro and yes it took me a life time to mow those lawns. Now I am ready to upgrade my mower. I just got some quotes for Toro:help: a 36"fixed deck for $2500 and 44" floating deck for $2700. Is that a good price?Would I do better if I buy a used mower. Any suggestions?
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Spend the money on a new mower. you will have a good running machine and when you start to develop problems you will know what is wrong as you are familiar with your machine.
  3. skidmaster

skidmaster LawnSite Member

First off ditch the whole Toro idea. Next, forget about the floating deck. They only work well with ztr's and tractors. Buy it once, buy it right, buy a Scag. They are built like tanks. And they are not much more expensive than other popular brands. The little extra you might pay you will more than make up for when you gotta drag your ass to the repair shop. Nothing like American steel. Scags are made in Mayville Wisconsin by Metalcraft of America.What's a glass of water when you're drowning?
  4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't have to be brand specific. Skag made a good walk behind years ago but due to the screwing I took with my turf runner I would NOT suggest anyone buy one. All of the top name companies have good walk behinds.
  5. MowJo

MowJo LawnSite Member
    from KY

Its my opinion you should always buy based on dealer support first and equipment brand second. All equipment will wear and need attention at some point, purchase based on who will treat you with respect and keep you running. Will your dealer have a loaner unit you can use if your machine goes down? Are you comfortable dealing with them?

One other thought... consider a hydrostatic drive versus a belt drive, I know they cost more but they run trouble free and you won't have to fool with slipping belts or time consuming adjustments.
  6. landscapeman2000

landscapeman2000 LawnSite Member

Base your purchase on dealer service along with brand name mowers. Consider getting a ZTR or at least a 48" walk behind that is hydrostatic with a sulky. You will have a much better production rate with either. You also want to think what your business is going to do in the future, prepare ahead so you are not buying larger mowers every couple of years. Also, I personally would not buy used equipment. Usually on used equipment there is something wrong with it or it is plain worn out.

Good luck and have fun looking.
  7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Skip a floating deck, those are better for larger sized decks. You want the Toro Proline great mower and great price. Also Look at the eXmark metro 36" this is basically the same machine, and I am told the ECS is much better than pistol grips.
  8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

if he plans on expanding i wouldn't even consider a ztr. i do agree with atleast 48" though...