I need your help?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Dollie, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Dollie

Dollie LawnSite Member

I just started my business this year and have been doing residential work. Mowing, trimming etc. I have been asked to put a bid on a condo complex and I have no idea how to do a professional bid. Where do I start. I have made a list of possible expenses: labor, gas, up keep of equipment, etc.

If anyone has some "expert" advise for me I would love to hear it.

Please and Thank you
  2. Branching Out

Branching Out LawnSite Member

please dont take this the wrong way. But, you might be better passing on this for many reasons. I know it might be appealing and you are probably anxious to get a large account, but it could cost you in the end due to inexperience. Maybe you could pass it on to someone with a little more experience and take a percent for yourself, and learn from the experience for the future.

Branching out

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

You will not like this answer but--
    "I have made a list of possible expenses: labor, gas, up keep of equipment, etc."
    If you have to ask and are just now starting to figure out what your overhead is ,,,, I would not bid on big jobs yet.
    A condo would want full service, maintenance and lawn care, right, can you do that,
    Messin up the price on a $35 lawn is not good, Messin up on a 20-40 hour job will end your business fast.
    I may be wrong and you know all your costs, but than why would you ask, a large property is the same as any other. Your rate for work times the time it will take to do the work. As properties get bigger, the hourly rate will go down a bit but you make it up because your crew is there all day and no windshield time. Also that same truck can now produce more work in a day.
    If you do not know the rate you need to make it in business I would wait a while till you get a better handle on costs-- These jobs will always be there.
    Good Luck.
  4. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

This is good advice to follow. The very first thing you need to know is how much it cost you to be in business. Without that knowledge, you will never succeed.

5. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Some good advice here, but don't get scared away yet.

I would reccomend purchasing Sean's "Total Green Industry Business Package" which also comes with the "Commercial Property Manual" and "47 Ways to Make More Money and Get More Customers". Check out Lawncaresuccess.com (No, Sean didn't pay me to say that:laugh: )

I bought this a few weeks ago, and it is full of very useful information, and it could probably help you tremendously.
  6. Dollie

Dollie LawnSite Member

Hey guys, thank you so much for all of your advice. Keep it coming.