I need your opinion

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soloscaperman, Feb 11, 2008.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I'm new to this and I was wondering if I should sell my Grass catcher that is made of steel for a 100 bucks. It works with my 2003 Exmark Walk behind 15 HP. Can I get more for it? How much is it worth? I need to sell because I started my business in the fall and I need money bad. Someone said they go for about 300 bucks!!

Thanks

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you sell what are you going to use what did you pay for catcher.:drinkup:

3. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

a new catcher is only $175.00 no way someone got $300 for one. if its in good cond no holes 100 is fair price

4. soloscaperman

It came with the mower it was a trade from my 1994 ZX900. Im prolly gonna save my money then in the fall buy a bigger aftermarket catcher or just buy a new exmark rider.

5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep using it. Your not going to get much $$ for it.

6. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

If you think you might pick up just one bagging account, you should keep it if there is anyway possible. Try hard not to sell something that can produce income in the near future. When you need it you probably won't be able to find one for a hundred.

7. lawnbutch

lawnbutch LawnSite Member
    from Colo.

KEEP IT--- USE IT!!!!!!! you will NEED it someday.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

This is what they call "burning the furniture to heat the house". It's a sign you're undercapitalized if you're selling $100 items out of desperation 4 months into this. It's hard to make a go of any business if you start w/o anything saved and in the hole.

I'd suggest getting a part time job to earn the $100 and keeping the bagger for when you need it in the spring. The chinese food delivery guy here makes $15/hour and works evenings. I'd also suggest buying as little equipment as possible until you are so busy you can't take on any more work, and only then go into debt to finance new equipment. I'm all for good equipment, but you have to be able to put it to work efficiently to pay for it and turn a profit.

9. soloscaperman

I started it in the fall and not even trying I got 6 accounts. My boss is only 28 and makes 100+ a year! And I run his business and I only make 12 and hour. I always had a motivation to run a business and why work your ass off for someone else when you can work your ass off for your self. My boss kinda laughed at me but I got a truck and a 2003 Exmark 48 inch with the bagger and a weed wacker and blower and he was shocked. I had two but my friend back stabbed me and he has them now. I lost two and that made me loose about 500 bucks a month. Its hard becuase then you get to realize who is trust worthy and who's not. There is also a lot of choices that you gotta make and I never got anything for free I had to work for it.

Just that after 4 years with my boss on the week days is screwing me over so he thinks I sell my business. I know how he thinks. I tried working anywhere Drywall and taping, subway, anywhere and got no phone calls. My bills are about 400 a month and I need any money so I don't ruin my credit score. I asked my boss for 400 bucks and said I will pay you back but he said he has no money but he buys Sony 3 with 20 games and a big screen TV. I wish I can go past this rough two months in CT. My business is on the weekends and waiting for it to grow so I can have it full time. I know that no matter what im not gonna sell my Camaro, Truck, or the mower.