1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I nominate Kubota for worse welds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jonathanone, Mar 4, 2011.

1. jonathanone

jonathanone LawnSite Member
    from Ct

If deck welding is an indication, and I believe that it is, of overall quality Kubota has issues. Three different decks with the same horrible welds, crooked, bulging and slag boogers-to say it was amateurish is being very, very kind.

What I did not realize is just how heavy the Kubota machines are: the smallest gas without deck, fuel, oil almost 1100lbs, the bigger diesels pushing 1600 DRY without the typical well nourished operator (at least in my instance) I cannot imagine over one ton running around.

Fit and finish is nice but Kubota still uses way way too many bolts on the hydro covers, not as many as the tractors (G series) but far too many.

Have not dismissed the brand but I can say that it would be the small gasser with the stamped deck-I really couldn't deal with the sloppy workmanship on the 'pro' decks.

Imagine what the stuff you are not able to see is like.

One dealer proudly stated that every mower he has is and has been inside since received-----

Darn that 0% for five years, they are clever, very clever.
  2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

I've got 2 Kubota "Pro" decks and they are bullet proof. They are the toughest decks I've ever seen. I've hit, banged, pushed some pretty solid items and have never had a problem with a "horrible weld, crooked, bulging and slag boogers". These machines are not made to model, they are made to work.
  3. TNGrassCutter

TNGrassCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Seriously, these people ragging on Kubota, do they even mow grass or just buy a brand new mower and take it home to look at for a few years? Commercial zero turn mowers are made to be put through the ringer, not enter in fashion shows.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Yeah I don't get it. I'm not spending 15 grand for a lawn ornament. I want a machine that is going to work hard and be tough as a bag of nails, not be pretty.
  5. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Pictures please. Welds are usually done by robots and are xrayed for imperfections. Its hard to tell by just looking at them if they are faulty. Kubota is known for very high quality and being built stronger than need be which explains lots of bolts and the weight. Fabricated decks are much much stronger than stamped decks.

Why all the recent Kubota hate?
  6. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

I haven't had a problem with welds breaking on my Kubota. The dealer, on the other hand, is a pain in the @$$.
  7. Scagmower48

Scagmower48 LawnSite Senior Member

As long as the welds don't break, who cares.

I have a kubota and the machine is really good.

Kubotas prices are even better
  8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 3 Kubota ZDs ,and a Tractor with loader, never had any trouble with welds. I guess im just lucky:cool2:
  9. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe all the snow ruined the welds!!!:laugh:
  10. jonathanone

jonathanone LawnSite Member
    from Ct

Guys a snake would break its back trying to follow the welds I saw, these could not possibly have been done by machine or not by a machine that was anywhere near in adjustment.
    Scag, Hustler and Bob-Cat decks are works of art, not so with Kubota or at least no so with the ones I have looked at.

None of you find the weight of these monsters to be an issue?