I normallly don't start a thread on pricing, but would like a little help this time.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by walker-talker, Nov 9, 2005.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

This was my first landscape job that I did on my own since I have been in business and would like a little price check. I will try and be as specific as I can. No extra items were needed. I used my truck, trailer, shovels and a wheel-barrel for this small project. Let me know what some of you might have charged and then I will tell you what I charged.

It was two small beds consisting of 25 ft of edging, 200 sq ft of weed barrier, 2 tons of rock. 2 trees and about 25-30 plants. It took myself and another guy 7 hours to complete from start to finish (not including time to pick up stuff and planning).

Materials cost $900
    Helper cost $80
    Designer cost $100

So, let's call it $1100 in actual cost. You could probably add another 2 hours of my time. I met with the client twice and spent time picking up the material.

I just would like to know if I am in the ballpark here.
    Thanks a bunch!!!
    Matt

2. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

With that information (many varibles) I would be a 35 hunerd. (based on material and man hours)

3. rscritch

rscritch LawnSite Member

yea you have lots of vars. brick, flagstone, plastic edging, size of plants, do you offer a warentee? i would have been in the 2800-3600 range

4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd be in at about $4136 before tax.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

$1100 for materials and
    $3000 for less than a days work for 2 guys?
    A measley $214/man Hr.

And every body wonders why the lawn and landscape business is looked down upon.
    And then every body blames the scrubs for their lack of work.

Hint: it ain't the scrubs ruining it.

6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

not really enough information ... if the 2 trees were caliper size we would get 1k for that alone.
    Look at his time Dave.... 2 guys including general conditions can't do that in 3.5 hrs.

7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Was I to low Wink wink nudge nudge

8. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Given the limited info........I would have charged around $2,800 for that, as described, not knowing conditions, etc...etc... I'd then have a happy customer that didn't get gouged, I'd have gotten a little exercise, and I would have paid my mortgage and truck payments for the month with enough left over for a really nice night out with the misses. If you guys can get a couple hundred per man hour, then more power to ya. Around here that kind of money better come with a few, ahem, special favors.

If, as Kris said, those tress were caliper size, that's a different story. Especially if you offer a warranty. Gotta cover yo' azzz, if you know what I mean.

9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Ok lets get some more facts... the beds ,were they already there? What kind of cleanup? What type of edging? What kind of rock mulch? What size were the trees? What size were the plants?

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Ok...here are some more fact and I will tell ya what I charged.

Plants, 7 were 5 gal., 11 were 3 gal., and 10 were 1 gal.
    Trees, both were balled and burlaped. Not sure the size but one weighed prob. 150 pounds and another 250-300. I moved them with a refridg. dolly...lol
    do dirt work involved and was able to dump extra dirt in an empty lot across the street. One bed required the 25ft of edging and the other was already enclosed. Here is a picture.

You can see where the lawn meets the bed of weeds, this is the area that required edging and equaled about 1 ton of medium sized egg rock.

land2.jpg