1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I notice LCOs taking the guards off the line trimmers--why?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcplace2004, May 28, 2005.

1. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a reason they do this?...does it save on line?...don't you get more debris flung in the face?...
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I don't, leave the guards in place for me thank you.
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i used to take them off for more manuverability, and longer lines.... i now leave them on for employees safey
  4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

...Because running a trimmer with a guard on is like trimming in slow motion! I'm Safe, always have long pants and glasses, and dont trim around others. Its much more efficient running a trimmer with the guard off.
  5. Blk94fiveOh

Blk94fiveOh LawnSite Member
    from MN

I take them off....It makes trimming alot easier/more efficient. If you wear shorts though, be prepared for your shins to be sandblasted. Make sure to wear some eye protection too.
  6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I take them off because I think I actually get hit with less stuff that way. the shindaiwa guards are very restrictive and heavy compared to other guards on the market.

the reason I get hit with less stuff, is that I can see what I am doing, and trim reall close to things and edge walkways without having the blind spot caused by the guard.
  7. liquidforcedude7

liquidforcedude7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from america

Ive taken mine off for big ditches and let out come more line. Its way more productive. But I usually end up putting it back on cause it kills my shins, and I dont work in long pants.
  8. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

The guards stay on my trimmers, I don't feel like getting my eye shot out, even though I wear safety glasses.
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

This is not a new thing people hav been doing it for years. It makes trimming more productive, with a guard you have to tap for more string every 2 seconds, in general you cover more area faster
  10. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I've ALWAYS taken those guards off my machines, its just easier. ligher machines mean less fatigue which means I can work for longer periods of time. the guard is VERY restrictive, much like people whose pants seem to forever hang around their knees trying to run, they slow down my work, which wastes more time in which I could have squeeezed another job into my day and possibly gotten ahead a little bit.