1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

I noticed something very interesting yesterday about my fuel mileage

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Richard Martin, Apr 20, 2013.

1. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

Tunable TO WHAT? What you think your mileage should be? Even if you adjusted it to the number a long term "old fashioned" calculation gave you there is no guarantee the next one would be the same and certainly 0.5-0.7 is well within the margin of error. There are so many variables that effect gas mileage that it would be impossible to get the accuracy you claim on the fly without a sophisticated PC measurement system with actual flow meters in the fuel lines, accurate temperature measurements and dead on distance travelled. Even then it's going to have to be averaged because it's never going to be repeatable.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Okay, it's become obvious you have nothing to contribute here.

You can tune it to what you'd like it be if you like but that's not what I did. I used the average mile per gallon over 300 miles and tuned the UltraGauge to that. So what if there is a small error. The point is that it is obvious that the gate presents a whole lot of drag. Remove the gate, remove the drag. :laugh:

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Richard: One thing about those portable ramps. Ramps can kick out. I have a set that have straps on them so they don't. But this goes back to something I mentioned earlier. Does it make sense to have to deploy ramps for every stop rather than simply dropping a gate. I know it's not particularly time consuming, but if it takes a minute or two more at every stop, is there really a savings. Just trying to help you think this through.

4. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

What I'm trying to get across to your thick head is whatever that thing is telling you should be taken for what it is- a very rough approximation.

As to the gate and drag and all the other advice, yeah, no argument there.

5. Richard Martin

I'll give it a try and see what happens. You know what I mean?

6. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

I had the same issue with a sanoma. 4cyl. wiht the gate of a small trailer up, even when empty, i could do no more than 60 mph.

wind resistance is a bigger issue than weight.

7. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Heck even figuring your MPGs longhand is a task. Cuz if you don't top off your tank exactly the same way/amount each time...you'll be off.

8. Richard Martin

Seriously folks, I'm satisfied with the accuracy of my MPG. When I put the gate on, the mileage goes down and when I take it off, the mileage goes up. You're not here, you don't see what I'm doing, and I've been doing this for 20 years. I think I've had enough results to say that I'm pretty much in the ball park. Geeze.

9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry RM...just adding to it all. You're right!

Have been amazed with my own unique situations with MPGs, equip in/out of bed, addition of a camper shell, etc...

Yup, aerodynamics is more than rocket science. Or, is it less?
    Neener!

10. Richard Martin

It's not you. I just fail to understand why we're splitting hairs with the MPG. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that if you put a big old hunk of steel up in the air, it's going to create drag. I was just stating that I was surprised that the drag penalty was greater than, what I consider to be, a significant weight.

I did order the ramps and I'll find out for 100% positive whether removing the gates/ramps results in any significant increase in fuel mileage. I do know that over a month and several fillups, that I was getting 12.7 MPG with the gates/ramps on.

Let me say that if I can get better mileage and some of my brothers here at Lawnsite can get better mileage, then it was all worth it. Getting 7,8,9 and 10 MPG was fine when gas was 75 cents a gallon. But if you can do one simple thing and get upwards of 2 MPG for very little cost, doesn't it make sense to do it?

BTW, that set of ramps cost $240 shipped.