I= on O= off Is it that hard?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Phishook, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Up is on ( I ), down is off ( O )! Does anyone else have problems with people not remembering how to start 2-cycle equipment?

They'll choke it, prime'em, give'em a little gas, but always forget to turn them on! I'll have a good start on a lawn, look over at the truck and see them still standing there pulling away.

:angry:

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Phishook....

I dont have the issue with forgeting to put switches on...just with 2cycles that are junk and wont start!

My boss's philosophy is that mowers go in at night, trimmer and blowers stay in the pickup. So through all the rain and dew overnight, the 2cycles are sitting in the bed. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I will say it really fires him up when we cant get the trimmers started. but how are we supposed to if their sitting in the truck all night?

pisses me off more than her.

3. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

The 1 and 0, that some people have a hard time with, actually came from the digital electronics industry. It is binary code. Digital, unlike analog is either, on=1, or off=0.

4. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

just my two cents
    LandscapeEscape88 >
    i have no place to put
    anything up at night
    it doesn't seem to bother
    the way the equipment
    runs not that it is good for it.

Phishook > on trimmers,
    blowers, saws,ect.
    (habit) when i turn one off
    once it stops running
    turn it right back on.
    (after all i can't run
    the battery down on
    a weed eater)

5. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

If they used the equipment more than once and they cant figure it out then shame on them.

In regard to the I, and O I think it makes no sense at all. And why would anyone use Binary code on this type of equipment??????? That should be the real question. Why not just put on and off???

I would say from a logical prospective the "I" should mean open or incomplete circuit "OFF", and the "O" should mean closed or completed circuit and should mean "ON". I guess that other people think of it the same way and thats why they get so confused. I think they have a right to get confused if it was the first time they used it.

Jimbo

6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

That's how I keep it straight.

My helpers will not follow proper choke procedure, though.

They will crank a perfectly running Redmax into oblivion, when proper starting is so easy, switch on, prime twice, choke, pull ONCE, then choke off and get to work.

What irks me as much as the stupid pulling away at the rope is running with the choke on.

How come I'm runnning a mower with earplugs in, and I notice the weedeater or backpack blower is operating half-choked, YET THE GUY RUNNING IT DOESN'T NOTICE!!!

:angry:

7. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

Why not just put on and off? Because some big whig suit more than likley told his boss that the company would save a million dollars by cutting back on the ink! :realmad:

8. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Mr. Jones, it's 'I' as in Ignition, not number 1, so you're really Off. Which brings up the 'O' for Off. Just tell crew types that the 'O' is off, the other side makes it work.
    It's all part of the international signage poop that started a few years back. Signs are the same symbol no matter what country.
    Would have been easier to teach the rest of the world to learn 'On' and 'Off'.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Rustic Goat wrote:

Would have been easier to teach the rest of the world to learn 'On' and 'Off'.

Don't get me wrong, I love my country but this statement is typical American arrogance. 5 billion people in the world and they have to conform to our way of thinking or doing things?

That being said you are right Rustic Goat. It is Internationally signed so everybody everywhere (except a few people with lower than average intelligence) knows which way is on and which way is off.

10. Tidycut

Tidycut LawnSite Member

There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don’t.

Rick