I out smarted myself.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LwnmwrMan22, Dec 15, 2006.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Since there's no snow here in MN, with mid 30's to 40's forecast as far as can see with no moisture, I decided to start pushing cleanups.

I threw a couple of ads in the local papers and got some calls, 7 jobs lined up so far.

It figures though, that the first one that I go to do, about a 4 acre / all mature oak tree property, I blow a hole in the housing of my impeller on the bagger system.

Now it's Tuesday before I can get the part, even over nighted, since I didn't call it in until after 2 pm today.

I'm back to doing it the cheap but intensive way, backpack everything to a tarp, drag the tarp to the woods......

Guess I should have just been happy getting paid on the plowing contracts with nothing to do... that's what I get for getting greedy, looking for some extra Christmas money....

2. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Pessimistic attitude.

You tried, had a bit of bad luck, it has nothing to do with smarts.
    Keep pluggin away, you could do the same thing the next 4 years in a row and have nothing break and make plenty of X-mas cash... How would you view your smarts then?

3. Prime Cut Lawns LLC

Prime Cut Lawns LLC LawnSite Member

Nothin like bustin your a$$ trying to make a buck; only to have a thorn stuck in your side. I admire the work ethic myself...

4. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Yeo you def. out smarted yourself...lol I always use this "lull" to catch up on stuff I didn't have a chance to do while we were still doing the mowings / clean-ups we were OBLIGATED to do.

I have never pushed leaves real hard, just do the ones that are under contract, and the residentials that are a given every year.

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't try to push leaves either, just do the accounts that I have on contract.

However, this year is shaping up like last, where I didn't plow the first time until February 2nd.

Figured what the heck, lets see if anyone still needs their leaves picked up...

I was surprised I got as many calls as I did, this late in the season.

Usually everyone has their collection equipment packed up by about the 10th of November around here.

6. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder LawnSite Senior Member

well at least it the end of the season and you have all off season to work on it. Imagine if you went to a job next year during prime fall cleanup season. That would have been a disaster. The problem would have occurred probably next year anyways:hammerhead: . At least you got it out of the way. Hope you have better Luck next year :weightlifter: LawnInOrder

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

atleast youre keeping busy and still making money we just reorganized the shop....for the second time already

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Go going Jeremy...hope ya still get snow. I sure as heck do. :)

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Next December you'll be sure to stay in bed with the covers up over your head :laugh:

I also ran a "Leaf Removal" ad in a community newsletter ($10 for 3 months) and was shocked to get 12 calls so far and 6 jobs from it.