1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I over quoted, they did not need all that

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DynaMow, Aug 20, 2006.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

Quoted an apartment complex. My first commercial bid (have never approached comm yet) Had maintenance man take care of property maint, place looked like crap, never trimmed or edged, spots missed with his 36" lawn tractor. He did not have the time to do it and did not want to do it.

I priced it to do that complete, perfection each visit type of service. Edging, trimming, etc.. Did not get job, really dont expect job of perfection.

My mistake was not to get the scope of the job and their expectations prior to me ever thinking about a price of service.
  2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I guess what you're saying is that you bid the job based on the quality of work you do in an area that they wanted done. Then, they declined because they were willing to accept less than quality work for a lessor price. I think I wouldn't lose to much sleep over it.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

A good rule of thumb is, if the place looks like crap, they probably have a crap budget :laugh:
  4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Amen can't agree more!!!!!:laugh:
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You want to know my experience?

First, you shouldn't fool with commercial contracts unless you have at least 4 years full time under your belt.
    Second, they DID want a high quality job, at a far lesser price.
    Third, there is almost ALWAYS a good reason why the last guy did / is doing a poor job as most Lco's don't do a poor job on purpose.

So what I have learned is commercial contracts are for companies with employees, who can afford to send out an $8 / hour guy to work on this property for however many hours, it hardly costs the company $25-$30 / hour and they can do this all day long, but I can NOT and will not do it.

So you're better off as a solo not accepting or bidding on a commercial contract / bid, but so that you look cool in their eyes, send them a no-bid letter because:
    - Most of them NEED 3 bids, and a no-bid letter is considered a bid with some so it satisfies their requirements and it looks professional as they feel their phonecall was not a waste of time.
    - The No-bid letter doesn't cut you out of commercial contracts as much as a flat out refusal, it leaves the door open so if years later you decide you want to give it a shot, you haven't burned the bridge.

Here's a sample of a no-bid letter:
    <<< HEADERS GO HERE >>>>

Dear ladies and gentlemen,
    I am most appreciative of your work offer. It is
    unfortunate that your offer arrived when it did, as I have
    just accepted another large project. Should my situation
    change, I will be in prompt contact with you.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
  6. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

Wonders never cease, someone over quoted and a no bid letter :laugh:

I have never seen anybody over quote before or the letter i learn some thing every day :)
  7. mowmasteruk

mowmasteruk LawnSite Member

Over the years I've had lots of these jobs over here in my country, usually the places are managed by agents whose aim is to get the job done at the lowest possible cost so that they can justify their own existence.
    I've got rid of all but one of these jobs now - the one I've kept I get on alright with both the agents and the residents and they know I do a good job for a reasonable price.
    My advice is, never go in at a very low price just to get the job. Make sure you are covering all your costs, seen and unseen, and add a decent margin for profit, then do a good job.