I pay $20 for a haircut...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carolina Cuts, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

the hair dresser cuts my hair, trims around my ears and neckline, uses the hair dryer to blow excess hair off my head and off my shoulders and then washes. IN THE AIR CONDITIONING!
    $15 + $5 tip.... = $20
    The average woman pass more money.

But some homeowners think $30 is too much to have their entire lawn mowed, trimmed, edged and blown off. Gas is expensive, my mower cost a hell of alot more then a pair of scissors and my blower costs more then a blow dryer.... Something is not right and has gone terribly wrong with this industry.

Sorry, just venting making an observation/comparison.

2. Landscape Maint.Services

Landscape Maint.Services LawnSite Member

yeah but a haircut is a once a month cut, where as you cut the grass every week. lol

I know what your saying man, everybody wants everything for as little as possible. And when there are pond skippers who will do it for pennies it makes our business look bad and people like us , the good guys, look like price gougers.

3. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Sit down with your family once a week and order a pizza. By the time you get done ordering the meal and tipping the driver you can spend up to and over $25.00 for something you are going to put in a toilet, gets you fat and usually does not even taste that good.

But $30 or $35 is to much to make your house look nicer and give you your weekends back.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Get to Great Clips before Monday, $7.99 haircuts. Also, Fantastic Sams is the same thing. Lowballers in every industry. ;)

5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think people know the real cost per hour in expenses. My sister thought me charging 60 - 65 / hr. was high (including drive time). But my expenses are 30/ hour, and it is a seasonal business.

6. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Very good analogy.

I often compare my charges with things that I pay for too.

Case in point. I get the carpets cleaned every year. Have had 3 or 4 different companies do it over the years. They all have had truck mounted equipment which is high dollar. The job has always taken about an hour or less for just 1 guy. Price range has been 95 to 150.

Moral of story- charge what your worth and then some.

7. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

The difference is just about anyone can mow their own yard and have it look good. For $300-400 a homeowner can buy an OK 21" mower and mow their 1/2 acre in 1 hour each week. That mower may last 10+ years for that 300-400 investment. If they have kids, the 14 yr old can do it.

People who cut hair have a skill they went to school for.

I work in the computer industry and we have been commoditized. All the work goes to lower skill people in India. The same thing in your industry.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I cut my own hair. One time I didn't do such a good job and a guy ask me if I used the weedeater to cut it with:laugh:

9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I cut my own hair, whats left of it. LOL ;)

10. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Like some one else said...its something that gets done weekly (mowing) vs. once a month. My wife just uses the ol' clippers on me. I guess I'm the home owner of hair cutting,lol. This year will be interesting to see who can stick it out, not that prices will get any better but who is the smarter business person in general. I learned last year more than ever that I wont mow just to mow and not make any or very, very little doing it.