I price too low.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by booboy, Nov 10, 2006.

1. booboy

booboy LawnSite Member

Judging by what I read on this site I price way too low. I am really trying to get better at it. I really think it is because I, myself am cheap. I guess I think because I am cheap that my customers must be also. I am always afraid of them thinking the price is too high. I will be bent over on my knees pulling weeds for 4 hours straight for $18 an hour. I really need to kick myself in the ass!

2. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

Give yourself a kick for me too Booboy...Sorry to say but your what we call a lowballer:nono: ...Not good...Learn how to price a job right before you go out there.
    Daner

3. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Honestly though, if you are bending over pulling weeds you have no variable overhead for completeing it. So the only thing you need to pay for is the drive there, the drive back, and your time.

And I also get nervous when trying to charge people for leaf jobs and stuff when we aren't time efficient.

4. booboy

booboy LawnSite Member

This is the end of my first year. I have to contribute to feed the family. I would rather work for $18 than sit at home. If I said $40 per hour I bet I would have lost the work. Down the road when I will easily put in 40hrs a week I will definately double my hourly rates. I picked up 20 lawns this year. I made about $25000 since february working 2.5 days a week. My expenses were $400 trimmer $200 blower, $100 old toro 21" and fuel. I think i did ok my first year. Next year my wife is on mat leave. Up here in Canada it if for a whole year. I will have 5 days of week to work so I hope to get at least another 30 lawns. If 2007 goes well my wife may not go back to work.

5. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

People on this site are always talking about hourly rates. With your equipment and experience some of you are a bargain at $75 per hour, and some of you are high at $7.50 per hour. I'm sorry but, its a fact.

6. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

First off, I have been there and done that cheap work thing. Remember if it is worth doing it is worth doing right. It it is done right the pay should be right also.

Do not qoute hourly rates they sound high to someone who does not know what to expect from an hour's worth of work. Qoute prices by the job and detail what will be done. If you are not having any of your estimates refused then you are qouting too low.

OK working for 18. per hour is not the worst thing, and maybe better than no work at all, but in the long run it is probably not sustainable. It would be better to spend time lining up jobs at 40. an hour than working for 18.

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you made some mistakes, everyone does, thats how you learn to price things correctly, just learn from it and do better next time.....

8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Prices will vary from state to state and also different county's within that state.

9. greenbronco

greenbronco LawnSite Member

for you booboy since your overhead is low and you still have time , maybe ok. But for those with big overhead for example 30-50k $ in equipment they should price every job accordingly afterall if your high priced z's are sitting while your pulling weeds for 18$ an hour there still depreciating and interest on their loans etc still ticking

10. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

it shouldn't matter if someone is using 30-50k or 2k in equipment...the job is the job...if i pull up to a yard that is about 1/3-1/2 acre cookie cutter yard and i price it at 40 with my 12k worth of equipment(not counting truck) and mr big pulls up with 30k worth of equipment(not counting truck), should he price it at 45-65???i think not...shouldn't matter if you use a 21 or a 60z, the price of the yard is the price that the neighborhood will pay...