I propose a new "Man Law"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, May 28, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I propose a new "Man Law" that every design or mechanical engineer that plans or designs mower decks has to lay on his or her back and clean at least 10 dirty ,filthy, caked on mower decks before they can finalize any mower deck design. Oh yea, they have to change all the belts on the machine at least 10 times as well.:hammerhead: :hammerhead:
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

They already have and have solved any grass buildup/caking issues........it's call the John Deere 7 Iron and 7 Iron II decks.......we NEVER and I mean NEVER have to scrape decks......even after cutting in pouring down rain.

I know what you are thinking and I did too when someone told me this BEFORE I switched to JD.......but since switching I found it to be 100% true.
  3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Hey...I don't mind scraping. It's just well....what are they thinking with all these nooks and crannies? And why don't use a carriage bolt...or cap screw?
  4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

My impression is that the Deere 7-iron decks are superior in shedding clippings but that they're not as sturdy as fabricated decks. What is needed is a well-documented study on the cost of fabricated versus molded decks and their relative durability.

I have an old John Deere L110, homeowner model, not much of a mower, but it just does not accumulate caca. eXmark Turf Tracer is a much better mower but can't lose the caca for love of God or money in spring, though.
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I see that statement as "fear" started by the makers that fab their decks, because they know that engineering wise that stamping of a heavy gauge steel provides a stronger item, deck in this case, than just welding pieces together does, but is is also more costly and they know that to, so they will continue to weld and use the old "it's stronger" saying until they have no other choice.

So, JMO, a Couple of things to ponder on then.

a) 7 Iron decks are ALL solid 7ga steel not a combo of mainly 10ga with 7ga edging as many fab decks are still (yes, I know some are now starting to change over to all 7ga as Toro did last year)

b) it takes over 4,000,000 pounds of foot pressure to "press" that 7ga steel into the 7 Iron deck

c) the equipment to do this stamping is much more costly than just welding

d) this method is also much more precise than welding

e) there are NO welds to rust and break on the 7 Iron deck
  6. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess the Hustler engineers decided that they didn't want to do that so the designed the new XR7 decks to be non-stick . Oh, and by the way, you can also change both the hydro belt and the blade deck belt in the field without any tools whatsoever on a Hustler Super Z.
  7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I would still like to see some comparison because I've heard complaints about stamped decks.
  8. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

If JD stamped deck is so great, then why do then not use it on there heavy duty bush hogs? They are all fabricated so they can take the abuse! A stamped deck will never be as strong as a welded/fabricated. Are you aware that during the stamping process that the metal gets thinner in some areas?
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Easy to clean and change blades on Walker and Scag Cougar....tilt decks are nice.
  10. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

i have heard of scag having a sort of high flow deck thats very tall and alot of air moves when cutting. they're only on wbs but they have more horse power than an equal deck. Anyone ever use one of these? I pressure wash all equipment monthly. Tons of grass comes of of all brands except john deere. Newer model scags, exmarks, bobcats, and hustlers are prolly better than the ones I use...