I pulled a "Bobby" today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Sep 15, 2005.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I gave an estimate to an elderly woman 3 days ago. She was a little weird on the phone but hey whatever. So I sat down with here for about 45 minutes for a stupid flower bed restoration, it wasn't a big job but landscaping is winding down for the season. She insisted on picking out and buying her own flowers. I said I don't garuantee them what-so -ever. We agreed on a price I didn't have any contracts left so I had her sign an estimate sheet until Sat. when I would drop off an actual contract, she says OK. She called me 5 or 6 times in 2 days asking about mulch, I was pleasant with her until today the 7th time she called. I was pleasant to her until she started lecturing me about no contract. I said we agreed to bring it to you Sat. before we get started. So finally after about 10 minutes of her trying to lecture me I interrupted her and said, mam, I will just refund the deposit check, if your are going to be this much trouble over something we already agreed upon then I can't imagine how bad its going to be when we actually start working. She said oh no lets not be nasty, I wasn't nasty to you. I said I'm not being nasty (yet). So she calms down and we seemed to come to an agreement again so we ended the conversation. She calls back AGAIN and says I think your being too nasty to me I dont want you working for me just give me back my deposit. I said thats fine I will mail it out, she paused and said well if thats the way your going to be then fine. There were more things said but Bobby's way of handling things felt kinda good this time. ;) ;)

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think you were definitely right, like you said, when they're trouble right off the bat, it almost always gets worse.

I got one now has me really ticked and is a perfect example of why, even when you give them a NICE price, they don't appreciate it so I should've given the guy the RIGHT price... After we had agreed, he calls me to tell me he'll get Scott's to do the Aeration / seeding but oh, since the treeguys took out like 20 trees there are holes all over the yard and could I please bring in some topsoil... You have no idea how pissed I was, but see I never call them back, I don't even answer the phone anymore.

Because I don't like it when they get the last word in, and about half of them do and it wouldn't be so much about it being the last word per se, except they're acting like we're their employees and like they can say whatever they want but we HAVE to remain polite or some such f*k rule...
    My favorite way to handle these kind is to send them the refund without explanation, and to ignore their calls and promptly delete their messages.

3. git er done landscaping

git er done landscaping LawnSite Member

i just hope you didnt have the phone in one hand and a shovel in the other....

4. JTW

JTW LawnSite Member

Old people are a PITA!!!! PERIOD

5. nobagger

from Pa

It honestly seems so!

6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

too bad she didnt sign a real contract where it states all deposits "non-refundable".that would teach her.

7. nobagger

from Pa

I know I'm still stuing about it. I thought I had about 20 of these genaric contracts with me but I forgot them. But on a better note while mowing today I filled in her, now open spot with a hedge trimming job and a small clean up. Just goes to show ya, if a when you loose one there is more light at the end of the tunnel. :waving:

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

like mac told me, always have a "work order" or "contract" with you at time of estimate for them to sign. a couple years back, i'd do it like you...give an estimate, come back, have a contract typed up, bring it back to them to sign.....too much time for them to think. have one with you. have different contracts for different types of service, pre printed, then just fill in the critical areas in pen, and have them sign. good job btw, there was no better feeling in the world, than the day i told my boss to go screw himself, and walked out on my job. the 2nd best feeling, is blowing off a client who is making you miserable. drop em, and forget em like the fat girl you met at the bar. did i ever tell you that story by the way? ok, one night i met this girl, big, BOY WAS SHE BIG. took her home, we did our thing. then she wanted a pack of ciggarettes. i took her to the store. she got out the car, by this point, the silver bullets are starting to wear off, as she was walking into the store, and i watched her, it occured to me, "that's not a girl, it's a billboard", my god, what do i do now? she left her pocketbook on the front seat. easy....i threw the pocketbook out into the parking lot, and got out of there quick. that's the way you get rid of pita clients.

9. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

You get rid of your PITA's by driving them to the store and taking off on them??? LOL :)

Here I thought that was how you got rid of fat girls. Now I know the truth.

Kevin

10. git er done landscaping

git er done landscaping LawnSite Member

i learn something new everyday at "geddsite" :D