I pulled a stupid

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JCLawn and more, Oct 25, 2013.

1. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

If is a centrifugal pump is not going to suck water
  2. B-2 Lawncare

B-2 Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

you might have to have the pumped pulled. Not a big deal, dependingon how deep the well is . But I would bet its not that deep. You need to stay in contact with this guy and be there when any work is be done, you ask lots of questions when the guys are there working on it so you don't wind up getting screwed.
  3. B-2 Lawncare

Not that I know every thing about all types of wells, but I use to work for Halliburton as a zone isolation supervisor. In other words stuff kind of like this.
  4. B-2 Lawncare

You can go to YouTube and look up pulling a water well pump, to see what you are in for.
  5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

IF the guy got the connections correct, and the pump is indeed running, I'm guessing you may have broken the PVC pipe somewhere inside the casing. If I were you, I'd tell the homeowner that you will contact someone to pull the pump. If he signs off on this, that way the pump guy will be working for you, instead of the homeowner. Just a precaution, unless you really know the customer well.
  6. B-2 Lawncare

I would also get you insurance agent involved.
  7. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

He was going to call a local company to investigate and I am contacting my agent. I've never had a liability claim before. Also if its only like 400 or 500 ill foot the bill.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Tell the homeowner to chill, and that you will make things right.
    Sounds like he is freaking out.

Stuff happens....sheesh!

I, one time only, put a dime size hole at the bottom of a corner piece of vinyl siding on a garage unit at an apt complex. The mgr proceeded to lecture me on the mistake. I told him to chill, send me the bill, stuff happens this isn't powderpuff football.
  9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

You told the homeowner what happened right away, correct?
    Of course you did, else I could see why he'd be flipping a lid.
  10. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Send him an apology note in the mail with a gift certificate to a nice restaurant. Make sure the gift certificate is a sufficient amount to cover a meal for two if it is a couple. If it is a family, consider a family friendly restaurant and enough to cover the entire family's meal.

Also if there is no water to the house, offer to pay for a hotel room while the well is being fixed.

Make sure the well company is there tomorrow and they get the pump repaired or at least temporarily working before they leave so you only have to pay for one night at the hotel.

Throw in a well head cover and a few small plants and some mulch.

Drop off a case or 2 of bottled water.

Make them focus on how well you are handling the solution and not on how you caused the problem.

Good luck.