i pulled up to an estimate.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 19, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the lady called just as i was checking in. she needs a quote on mowing + chemicals. i'm actually headed right in that direction, so i tell her i'll be there in a few. i roll up, to find her arguing with her current lawn guy. a guy i see at the dump often, real nice guy. she's going on about, "i called you, and you don't return my calls." he replies with, "i'm sorry, but u had your number changed, and we had the old one on file." they are going back and forth. i smile at him, shake my head, and drive off. would you have given the lady a quote?

2. Badgerz

Badgerz LawnSite Member

If i knew the guy she was giving all the trouble to, no, I wouldn't bother but that's just me.

3. MysticLandscape

MysticLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't of, I would proboly ask him next time at the dump what happened tho.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

me neither!!!

I would have just laughed and drove away:waving:

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Nope, I would have refused to get invloved.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

No if I knew the guy, I would explain to her way and not just drive off.

7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby
    I personaly (well forget personal). Anyway! From a business stand point I believe you did the right thing. If any thing you might buy him a beer for saving you the pita time. I know a few of the LCO's around here and when you get the call sometimes you see 3-4 trucks rolling in the same direction(Does the movie Convoy ring a bell to any old timers?) The point here is I believe the general rule is who gets there first the rest move on. In some instances if time pervails on my way back thru I might stop and give est. sometimes yard is already done. Which means the guy needed the job worse than I did. I wont break into my schedule unless that one job is going to pay as much as one monthly account. Meaning a $150-200 bust in and out for the hr.

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

only 21 more posts, bobby.

9. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

LMAO! On the other hand, thanks Bobby for posting another entertaining thread.

10. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I would have given her the estimate and added about 50% to my normal just because I know that those types of people are a pita. I had a lady go off on me because they wrote me a bad check and I charged them a $20 return check fee as well as raising their rates all in the same month. She said it was the banks fault but I checked with the bank which happened to be my bank and they said that the account had been closed since the date of the check. I now charge a $25 return check fee plus the amount I would get if I were to go mow once for having to waste my time to go to their house and collect something that should have been good in the first place. She said it was my fault for not accepting credit cards. People suck!