I purchased a Toro today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by linky, Mar 31, 2001.

1. linky

linky LawnSite Member

Today i bought a toro 44" 15 kohler gear drive floating deck. HAPPY!!! It is replacing a 36" Giant Mow not a damn thing. The T bar steering seems great. The sfs deck cuts really well in wet conditions. I was concerned that the 15hp may not be enough but it 15 pulled me up steep hills while cutting wet grass and heavy leaves. Do any of you use double blades and or mulching kits for this or simular mowers? Thank you for replies.

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL on the Giant Mow not a damn thing!

3. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

It's good to hear that the 15hp is enough. I'm getting the exact same machine next week.

4. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

My 44 with Recycler deck, belt drive and 15hp Kohler engine is lacking in the power department and I am not just talking about mulching. I have never been satisfied since day one with this machine. I run really sharp gators and keep everything adjusted out. Yeah it will pull my 180lb rear up a hill but once you operate a Z or hydro you will leave it as a back up. I have approximately 350hrs on my 1998 unit and no major maintance except normal wear on belts and etc. Good luck on your purchase!

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I run a 52" Snapper walkbehind with the Briggs 16hp Vanguard best engine ive had in 10yrs. If that 15 is anything like my 16 youll have no problems, i run doubles gators on top high lifts on bottom I purchased this machine 8yrs ago and have only replaced a regulator on the engine, but im sure your 15 will have adequate power. Marks Mowing Service

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I've got a 98 but its a hydro and it saves my butt in many different conditions. I know money can be an issue but I LOVE the hydro.
    Toro makes ATOMIC Blades that do a great job. Around 50 bucks for a set, well worth it. Good Luck.

7. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

Blades 50 bucks a set and "well worth it"? I don't think so, no such monster has been invented. I can only look at a lot of the trade magazines and shake my head, sometimes. It's like the home theater market in a lot of ways. All of the slick pretty ads telling you how wonderful a product is and how it has revolutionized the industry and how it will improve your life and make your wife like you and your kids respect you. :) NO set of blades is worth that when I can get three sets of .240 thickness hardened steel blades for the same cost. I'm not taking shots at you, Mow Ed, but more so at the industry that hawks these "gotta have it now" tonic water products to us all. I saw an ad the other day and I had to catch myself. I felt compelled to run to the store and purchace the 3,000 dollar ride on spreader I saw in the glossy mailbox-fresh trade-mag I had in my sweaty little hands! After all, HOW could I refuse? I wasn't SPENDING money to get it. Hell, I was LOSING money by not having it! It would after all increase my sales by.....................................sucker!!!!!!:) Whew, that was close. Now I think I'll retire to my listening chair (positioned 13 degrees off-axis) so I can enjoy the uncanny ability of the titanium dome tweeters to bring Sting into the room at a whispers distance. AHHHHHHHHHHH.....best 1600 bucks I ever spent! DOOOOOOHHHHHH!(HOMER'S SOUND)

[Edited by lakegastonla on 04-01-2001 at 08:14 AM]