1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I put diesel in my mower!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Soupy, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Had a brain fart and put diesel in one tank of my Hustler Z. Any tips on what to do? I can run off one side for now, but wonder what the easiest method for solving my problem?

2. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

Drain the tank is the ONLY option.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah just drain it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. RainHawk

RainHawk LawnSite Member
    from asdf

lol from the exclamation point in the title I thought this might have been on purpose :)
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

It really isn't a big deal.

Drain it, fill it and run it.

I had an employee fill my RTV with gas this winter. It's running fine so far.
  6. RickyDL77

RickyDL77 LawnSite Senior Member

Diesel in a gas engine... not as bad as gas in a diesel. The gas engine would run like crap, if at all with maybe some fouled plugs, and a well lubed combustion chamber. The diesel would run but would cause damage almost immediately.

Might smoke a little for the next tank of fuel, just tell em it's a bonus mosquito deterrent.

and note that Gas tanks are red, Diesel tanks are Yellow, Kerosene tanks are Blue for the very reason that everyone has a brain fart, mine are so perfected that I make them whistle...lol..
  7. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

A relative of mine put kerosene in his gas lawn mower one time. It ran real rough, but it did run. No long term effects on mower.
  8. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I would just syphon it out, then re-fill with gasoline.
  9. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Any Ideas of easiest way (but safe) to dispose of the mix? Will it hurt a car mixed 1 gal at a time with a full tank of fresh gas?

10. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah Mosquito's are on the up this year so charge for that too!