1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

I put gas in my diesel truck today. What is your horror story?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by spray_man, Feb 28, 2007.

1. spray_man

spray_man LawnSite Member

I guess I was a little distracted. I never thought I would do this. I caught myself after only a tenth of a gal. of gas. Luckily (I thought) the tank was below empty. My immediate thought was to drain the tank. Unfortunately there was about 4 gal of diesel still in the tank. The only problem was that my big adjustable wrench was nowhere to be found in my tool box. I finally loosened up the nut with a vise grip and a pipe for leverage. The drain nut was on real tight.

The worst part was feeling like an idiot, while working on the problem. I never felt so small (and I barely clear 5' 7"), and my truck never looked so sad.

2. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

1/10 gal........you're prob adding 30+ gallons of diesel to that. I would have just filled her up in that case and not worry about it.

A gallon vs a 1/10 though.......I wouldn't advise that.

3. spray_man

spray_man LawnSite Member

I am not 100% sure, but I think even a smaller quantity would have blown the engine. Remember. The gas stays together, and at the bottom of the tank. All you need is one small squirt in one cylinder. But, I could be wrong.

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

it wont blow it up, but u shouldve got it out of there.

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I like the stations with the diesel pumps accross the lot from the gas pumps!

6. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i hear alot of guys that put a gallon of gas in the tank in the winter.... i can't rememer the logic. but i think i would have just filled it up with diesel and went on. i wouldn't do it on purpous though

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think gasoline will cause a diesel to blow up. It will smoke like crazy and it can damage the injection pump but other then that, I don't think it will do any engine damage.

8. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't say you did wrong, because it's better to be safe than sorry with a $6000 engine, but 0.1 gallons of gas in 30 gallons of diesel would have not hurt a thing. The gas will mix in with the diesel, and even if it didn't mix, gas is lighter than diesel and would not stay in the bottom of the tank.

9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I add a small amount of gas to my diesels in the winter. It acts as an anti-gelling agent. I put 1 gallon per 50 gallons of diesel and have never had a problem in over 20 years.

10. ED'S LAWNCARE

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a little hind sight on the subject. A friend of mine drives a gas tanker on a single tank there are 4 "compartments" holding different types of gas, unleaded, premium, diesel, kero etc. Although they like to keep the diesiel for just diesel the company has had to fill the whole truck up with just gas and there is no way you are going to get all the gals out of the tank there is always some left behind a few gals mixed with 1000 gals in the tanker is not unusual.

Here is a little more for those who are brand loyal the gas that goes into Joes cheap fill is the same that goes into Exxon, Chevron, Citgo etc... it all comes from the same distribution center. The price difference is one of 2 things greed on the gas station owner or the deal he has made with the distributor.

Now getting back to the post a 1/4 gallon of gas to 30 gallons of diesel should not harm the truck but it would still give me an uneasy feeling.