I put up ads and business cards in stores and they disappear...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justmjc, Feb 29, 2004.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

You know how they have stores that allow space to put up flyers and business cards and such, like a meijers? Well, I put out flyers and a bunch of business cards in the area, and I'll be darn, each time I go in there gone. This last time was just 2 days after setting them out. I don't know if it's the store, competition, or some azz holes doing it. I asked a store manager and there not sure who regulates that or if customers just trash them. I put up a cheap, but nice clear display of 30 business cards and some scattered seperatly, and I come back next day....gone.

I'm getting pissed because there are other peoples crap all over the place. I'm about half ready to sit ALL day waiting just to see what kind of trash takes my stuff.

Anyone have any information on who regulates that stuff if any?

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

think about how many other landscapers go buy there
    not all of them like compition so guess what bye bye cards
    i stopped wasteing time doing it that way you would due better to just throw them out the truck window

3. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

Hopefully you are getting that many potential customers. If somebody is taking them and that soon, they may work for the store. Do any other lawn dudes advertise there? Business cards are pretty cheap means of advertising. Maybe a few potential customers will get them before they are taken.

4. AMAC

AMAC LawnSite Member
    from MO

The same thing happens to me, every time I put up a flyer it gets yanked. My first year it was a great form of cheap advertising, but now it gets expensive.

5. justmjc

No, actually I put up a clear acrylic b-card holder . I knew they would be taken, so I put the holder behind the metal racks and it was tight to get in there as well. This along with about 30 b-cards disappeared. I made sure that if they were to be taken, it would be a job. Display and cards....gone. Had to have taken him at least 5-10 mins to gather the scattered cards, and fight taking the display out because of how tight it was wedged in there. I know I felt weird putting it in there because of how much of a fight it was, so I can only imagine what this guy went through.

It wasn't accidental, that's for sure.

6. justmjc

But, I will say this. I am1 step ahead of the competition in another way. I have a 8.5 x 11" full color flyer with a business card displays in multiple locations across the city. I have good friends and families that know the owners that run these facilities as well. AND, it's actual counter space, not the pin up boards. Do to this, all eyes are on the displays at all times, both customers and the clerks. Along with friends and family patroling when they visit, I think this helps prevent a little more with swiping my crap. So far so good with those ventures anyway. At least there still there for now.

7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

It is a shame that people stoop that low but it does happen,probbly some one thinks they are gonna corner the market and mow 1000 yards a week, good luck

8. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

Why not go door to door with the flyers, or cards,an target specific areas that you want. I dont think competition is going to follow ya around yanking them out of doors....

Get a couple of kids, an pay them for delivering them door to door. They dont mind doing it, an they are making money..You can spend your time on the phone to SNET Yellow Pages...;) :D

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've got a little local store right around the corner that I put fliers up in last fall for aeration. They all got swiped within a day. I doubt that 100 people took them in less than 24 hours. Sometimes it's not worth the hassel.

10. protouchlawn

protouchlawn LawnSite Member

Smile!!! If it is the competition taking them, it means they are worried about you!!! Seriously, it is pretty cheap advertising,and
    if you wind up with a couple of good accounts from it,it will have been worth the PITA.