i quess customers with patients is to much to ask for anymore?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Aug 3, 2003.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: have a customer that purchased a second home for resale and the home is a good 2 months away from resale, she signs up for clean-up and mulch about 5 days ago and i tell her i scheduled her for the 9th, at that time wasnt a problem, get a call today saying if i cant do it she find someone else, not sure where the commnication breakdown came, but i seem to be running into many people who seem to think that im on the beach drinkin beers, anyone else see this also, tony

is it december yet??

2. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky LawnSite Member

All the time.... some people think that if they ask me while I am at their neighbors house, I am just supposed to come right over and knock it out right then.
    I also have an older customer that will call me and expect me to just come right over at that very moment. When I get there she has about 5 or 6 other things around her house that she wants me to "just look at for her". I have tried to explain that I have a very tight schedule, but she sort of treats me like a school kid doing this after class in the afternoon.
    Matter of fact she called me friday afternoon and wanted me to come right over. I told her I would try to get it saturday....well it rained yesterday...maybe monday:cry:

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

o yea, alot like that, they want it yesterday

4. bobbygedd

from NJ

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

bobby, you're stuttering.

Hey, General Grounds, you've only got one customer, and you spend your days waiting for her call, right? ;) Yeah, right.

That's what a lot of them think. It's taken a while, but I've thinned out the ones who call after three days of rain, and say, "It's stopped raining, you can come over now." When it should've been mowed a week ago, but they want to wait, as it "doesn't look bad yet.":nono:
    Crawdad

7. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that by keeping it on a VERY business like manner, letting them know up front that I dont give a crap about them and thier family, I dont even know the vast majority of my accounts by name, I just assign a number to them and thats how we all remember them. I just want their yard to look good and for thier money to be in my pocket, it USUALLY keeps them from getting to picky and to demanding. I also hand out a paper on the first day we mow, saying basically what will happen if it rains, if a natural disaster hits, and it specifically says that if it rains for several days straight and we cant mow, they will be shoved back as long as it takes until we are back on schedule.
    Now, I did say this usually works. It doesnt for two different types of people. The first type is my really old customers, the ones I have had since I was 12 mowing yards with a push mower and a Homelite trimmer and a pushbroom. Those I still keep it on a personal level with, I will call them if it rains for to long, etc.
    The other type is the ones that take my paper, wad it up, and toss it in the trash can. Those are the ones I drop ASAP. They are just born to whine. My favorite calls are the ones "Well its raining, why cant you just mow with one of those little mowers?"

But the absolute best, a call I got from a client when it had rained for four days straight, and still pouring when he called and started whining, "Well, why cant you just make it stop raining for a little bit?" Lets see, maybe because I AM NOT GOD!!!! He was dead serious to. He thinks I control the weather. Some people should not be allowed to live I think..... I wanted to say something like "Oh sure, okay, let me call up Jesus real quick and get Him to stop this rain for you. But that will be an extra $40 for all that long distance fees on my phone." :rolleyes:

:cool:

8. mower_babe

mower_babe LawnSite Senior Member

we have that problem all of the time. I try to politely tell them that I have to go in order of the schedule. doesn't work, but i try.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

swamp? u have to pay $40 for the call? he gave me a 1-800 number. goes to show ya, its not what you know, its who u know

10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, he's calling from Texas. From here in Tennessee, it's a local call.
    Crawdad