I realised how much I hate cutting.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedWingsDet, Apr 28, 2005.

1. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

Well, Ive been saying for a while, to my self, how much I wasnt looking forward to cutting this year. Well, for the first time this year I cut, my own lawn, and I HATE CUTTING, Mind you, I have to cut my accounts this weekend, but hopefully it'll rain so I can hire someone to do em for me. LOL.

I only like to do snow removal and landscaping, for me, it seems like theres no money in lawn maintenance, and it sucks too, because alot of people just see you as a low life cutting grass, which I could aggree with them too when I see the trucks and even a car I seen and clothes some of these low ballers wear, they look like raggedy ann.

sorry I just need to vent, LOL
  2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Fancy boy too good for cutting? You'll be glad to know I only wear a three piece suit to cut grass. I wouldn't want to be mistaken for a begger. :rolleyes:
  3. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

LOL. Ive seen plenty of "professionals" cutting grass. There is a difference. I understand that you do have a preference, but I wouldnt go to that extreme.
  4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't care what people think.....I'm not here to please anyone but myself.....I save my lawn for last and pretend its just another lawn.....but this one is used as a calling card, so extra care is taken......been to the top and back....suits and ties....give me jeans anyday of the week....as for the money, it takes time to grow....if you worry about what other people think you best throw in the towel.....
  5. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

oh i save mine for last too, but today I took the day off. I do quite a bit of landscape work lately (lawn installs, patio, driveway extentions, planting, etc), and I figured i'll cut my lawn for the hell of it. And cutting it made me remember how much I hate cutting grass, espissally when some people dont give you the credit you deserve.
  6. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I LOVE MOWING GRASS!!!!!! You should do things you LOVE to do, life is too short. I cant wait to mow again in the morning, and I just got done an hour ago today. Of course, I dont burn out. I have the equivalent of 3, 5 hour days of mowing. Makes for a 4 day weekend!
  7. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

PremierLandscaping, how many grass cutting accounts do you have, maybe you should sub them out and make more time for what you love (landscaping)..... life's to short to worry about small details in everyday life....
  8. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

I was thinking that, or buying another truck for a few grand and then an enclosed trailer for landscape work and use the open for cutting and hiring someone to do em for me. my cousin is unemployeed so I know he'd prolly do it, if the money was right.

or I could sub em out, but I only have like 25 right now, so I dont think it'd be smart. Last year I had like 50-60 accounts, but It was way to much with school so I scaled down a little on cutting so Im not as overwhelmed and have more time for landscape work.
  9. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

what size lots are these and how much $ does these lots brings in.... j/w

maybe pay ur cousin 35% of what the lawns bring in

example: 25lots X $35= $875 ...... i'm going to shot some bull and say it takes ya 24hrs or 3days (8hr days)

100-35%= 65% of what you make, he brings in 35%
    $875 X 65%=$568.75 (yourself) but expect for less cash when you subtract both your direct and indirect variable expenses
    $875 X 35%= $292.25 (cousin)

$292.25/ 24hrs= $12.17 for your cousin, but don't let the hours come into play at all, best to pay him a percent on each lawn...... but make him mow every1 or none at all, no point in subing 3 or 4.... $12.17 seems like a lot for an hr rate, but if he's responsible and you trust him w/ur buisness and he can work on his own its worth it trust me.... but make him pay for all gas he uses, just lil things like that, give him responsiblility so its not all on your shoulder to be a burden.....
  10. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

ahh thats true.... but I wish I got 35. these lawns are like 2k-4k sq feet and litterally take 7mins to cut, edge, trim and blow with two people, so its proly 14min with one guy. and im only gettin $16 a lawn. Most of these guys are charging $14. I cant see how they are making money, but hey thats their role.