I realized why someone invented gloves.........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rmartin, Mar 22, 2006.

1. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

I was changing the blades of my mower last night when the wrench slipped off the bolt causing my left hand to slide directly into a newly sharpened blade. Missed my wrist by about 1/4 of an inch. 3 hours in the ER and 18 stitches later I now remember why I bought that supply of gloves. I guess sometimes we get a little complacent when doing our daily maintenance. :hammerhead: Stop, think and be careful.
  2. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Glad to see your okay... I meet people being an assistant golf course superintendent that are always misisng a finger or two.. I always tell and train new guys to be very carefull esp. when cleaning the greens mowers since they are razor sharp 7 days a week all season.. Glad to see your okay and hopefully everyone else will stay safe...
  3. trent515

trent515 LawnSite Member

Definitely good advice. Ever since I sanded the end of my finger with a belt sander, I always wear gloves when working.
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

My question is WHY did the wrench slip off in the 1st place?This won't happen if you were useing the tool properly.Unless it was a cheap tool that did not fit right.Were you useing the box end of the tool or the open end?
  5. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Got my finger with a bench grinder. Now i know to wear gloves no matter what im doing!
  6. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

it was an 11/16 socket wrench. Maybe next time I'll ask you for instructions.
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well maybe you should..those things are easy to loose control of.If it is the tool I think it is.Does the socket move back and forth on its handle?
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I ripped half of my left index finger nail off the other day workin on some rusty brakes, that was painful, got a piece of rust jammed under the rest of the blade and I couldn't remove it right away, I soaked it a couple times a day and it eventually came out, but man o man is my finger still sore.
  9. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I did the same thing and needed stitches too. Its just a simple mistake. Not sure if gloves would have helped me. I now use air tools. Hope you heal up quick.
  10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Oh wise one, how is it that you are so perfect. Accidents happen all the time, as anyone has done their share of wrenching knows that wrenches do slip.