"i really don't need a spring cleanup"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Mar 7, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

here we go, its that time again. people call for estimates on lawn service. i show up, there are leaves and branches on the lawn. i quote them weekly cutting, and one time spring cleanup fee. they say well, they really dont need spring cleanup, dont i have one of those lawnmowers that picks all that stuff up when we cut the grass? lookin for a cleanup for free is more like it. anyone else get this?

2. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just getting started so take what I say with that in mind. I've dealt with people like that in my other profession and they always turn out to be hard to deal with if they insist on skipping necessary procedures. I've had restaraunt managers say "Can't you just do a light spray?" when a full blown pest elimination was contracted for (entails covering up items with sheet plastic and a crew the next day to soap it all down). That's why I'm going to love this business, I'm the boss when it comes to someone like that. Customers are the lifeblood of any service business, but not THAT customer.

3. tlcservices

tlcservices LawnSite Member
    from fl

i just tell that its true you dont need one.bye and have a good day

4. SUNSHINE LAWN

SUNSHINE LAWN LawnSite Member

Yes, I get this from a few new customers each year. I usually try to explain to them that without the necessary prep work(removal of the larger debri first) the finished appearence of the lawn will not be satisfactory or healthy for the lawn. If they do not accept the initial one time clean up fee, I do not service the lawn. I would tell them something like.... We appreciate the opportunity to discuss your lawn maintenance needs however we cannot stay in business by skipping the necessary prep work. Then I would suggest they contact other LCO's in the area. In closing the conversation I tell them if we can help your service needs in the future please call us back. Usually these type of customers are cheap and not looking for a quality lawn service but I did have one of this "type" customer call us back last year about mid-season wanting us to take over their lawn. Now they don't ask any questions they just said bill me. I think they realized you get what you pay for.

5. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

Why not bid the property $5-10 higher per visit than you would had there not been a cleanup then include it as a Introductory offer (however if you terminate your agreement then you will be charged the $XXX value of the cleanup).

Def see the potential PITA (pain in the a$$) aspect, but just a thought. Pay me now or pay me later..just pay me of course

jf