1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

I really dont understand some people....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC, Mar 16, 2005.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I check ebay quite often for various things as most of us do. Well I came across this JD mower today. 727A Z-Trak 04' with 305 hours on it. These mowers retail for like $8-$9000. Its a dealer who is selling it and they put NO RESERVE on the mower and started the bid at $100.

OK so when I found it the bid was at like $2xx dollars. So I figured if people are smart they will keep the price as cheap as possible. I mean you had a chance to get an almost new ztr for like a few hundred dollars. Well apparently somebody( :dizzy: ) bid over $3000 for it.

Here is the run down:
    Time left: 4 days, 19 hours 23 minutes 50 seconds

US $3,550.00 Mar-16-05 15:56:11 PST

US $3,500.00 Mar-16-05 15:34:29 PST

US $3,005.00 Mar-16-05 14:52:10 PST

US $3,000.00 Mar-16-05 14:25:49 PST

US $2,500.00 Mar-16-05 13:13:54 PST

US $505.55 Mar-16-05 13:34:53 PST

US $200.00 Mar-16-05 13:14:18 PST

Here is the link:huh!?
  2. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Proxy bidding is what makes it tough to bid, also many times a seller will have someone run up the bid so they can get their price for it too. Sad but true but ebay is not always a true auction. If the seller is not seeing what they want for price that is when you see them getting a friend to run up the bid.

But looking at this seller with very positive (100%) feedback I would assume this is a good ebayer. Call them directly if they are straight up with you it will also tell you more about their character.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I don't understand what you are complaining about. An 8 or 9000 mower going for 3000.....isnt that a deal? How is somebody going to get it for 2 or 300 dollars if more than one person wants it? If the highest bid is $3000, than the next lowest bid is just under that. I am totally lost what you are trying to say...sorry:(
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Trust me, 4 days left is a long time for a lot of people to get on board and bid on that. that's the magic of ebay. It all in what you want to risk. If you are selling something that you know will sell good and there's not 1,000 of what you are selling on there at the time then you will likely get a pretty fair market value for that item in the end. Now if you found that and it was down to 2 hours and that was the price then I'd say bid on it, but most likely someone else has already and you would be instantly outbid. I'd put money on that the last bidder on there has actually offered a max bid of closer to 5 grand if he really wanted it. untill someone else cones along and bids again the bid will just stay at the 3,550.00. Also watch the last half hour or so, the bidding usually turns into a war then.

I have seen items that start at $.01 and actually SELL for the 1 cent, plus shipping of course. but also people start stuff cheap like that because it draws people in, or at least they think so. Iv'e been doing a bit of buying and selling on there myself the past couple years. If you know anyone interested an an almost new Suzuki Vinson 4 wheeler with a snow blade I have mine listed on there! auction number: 4535567123

you can copy and paste that # in an e-bay search...
  5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

When I find something on ebay that I want to buy, I always put it on my watchlist. Then I wait until the last couple of minutes to bid on it, if the price is still right. I've always wondered why some people drive the price up so fast. If they would just sit back and wait, they could but it cheaper. But I guess some people just like to see their name on the highest bidder list.
  6. lpwhandyman

lpwhandyman LawnSite Member

The high bidder has a user rating of 3. Which means they're new and probably bidding the minimum amount, while watching it all day long. As soon as it changes, they'll bid the minimum required again and again. When it comes to ebay, just bid the maximum amount you want to pay and let er' ride. Like others said, the last moments of the auction it will really shoot up in price.
  7. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I don't bid til the last few seconds of an auction. Reason being, if you place your bid in advance, it gives other people time to sit, watch it, and think. If you throw in a bid right away, people often bid higher and higher until they are the highest bidder, just for the satisfaction of winning the auction so far. I waited til the last seconds bidding on a bobcat 48" WB... 3 seconds left and I placed a proxy bid of $1,450. How much did the bid go up to? Only $1,000, and I won. What a deal. If you are serious about winning, wait til near the end and slam them with a price.
  8. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Bidding on ebay is something you have to study, If you bid 5,000 on an item that is at 100, and the increments are set to 5, then your bid will only be 105. If another person bids 1000, only your bid will show up, and will be automatically jumped to 1,005. Estute bidders can calculate what something is probably going to bid up to, and can just bid once and forget it. That being said, I like to be a "sniper" and wait till the last minutes. That is why the giant "jump" in bidding in your example, not because someone was an idiot.
  9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

That dealer has listed the mower as "No Reserve", but there is no way he is going to sell it for chump change. You can rest assured that he has someone ready to bid it up to a dollar figure that he has to get for it. He could even do it himself by listing it under his business name, then bidding on it himself from his home computer and user name. It's a gimmick.

Don't be naive and think that you can get an $8,000 mower for a few hundred dollars. It ain't gonna happen.
  10. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I am sure some may do that, but, it would be bad if it backfired, as now they have paid an insertion fee, and maybe they also won the auction, so now they pay a pretty hefty commission, AND they have to relist if they want to ebay it, so another insertion fee.