I rebuilt my Kappa 43 yesterday

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I know it's strange, but I actually enjoyed it. Since this was my second year running my Gregson-Clarke V-200 skid, I decided it would be a good idea to rebuild my Udor pump (Kappa 43). It still worked great and didn't need to be rebuilt, but I wanted to see how much wear 2 years worth of use would put on it. There really wasn't any visible wear. I was really impressed. I'm still glad I decided to do it, because I'd rather rebuild it when I have tons of free time and don't need my skid, than wait until it has to be rebuilt (probably right in the middle of the season).

I also figured it would be a good idea, because it would allow me to become familiarized with the inner-workings of this pump. If I ever need to tear into my pump to make a mid-season repair from now on, I'll be able to do it more quickly.

I feel a lot better knowing it's ready to go and should give me several years of reliable service, before I'll need to rebuild it again.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

How long did it take? What do you have to do besides new diaphragms and new oil? New o-rings? New valves or valve seats? Add gear oil to any speed reducer gears?

3. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I could have finished a lot quicker, but I'd say from start to completion, it took me about 3 hours. I didn't work straight through on it though. I took my time and enjoyed the fact that I didn't need to hurry.

Like you mentioned, I replaced the diaphragms, and O-rings that seal the check valves into the heads. I didn't need to replace the check valves as they were in great shape. I did change the gear oil in the gear-reduction case after I filled the pump with "Udor Lube." That's the lube Udor recommends filling their pumps with.

Since this was my first time rebuilding one of these pumps, I checked with Rhett at Gregson-Clarke to make sure I wasn't missing anything I'd need. As always, he was great to deal with.

It was really straightforward and easy to do.