I run my trimmers half throttle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Jun 15, 2011.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I know you are supposed to run trimmers wide open throttle (wot) but I find much of the time I'm working around delicate plants, close to auto's, rocky ground, etc and rarely do I have the trimmer at full throttle unless I'm in open area's. If the trimmer doesn't last as long then that will just have to be the case. One of the reasons I like the 4 mix is the low end torque. Many small trees and plants have no protector around them and I sure can't see running the trimmer at high rpm's and not nicking the bark. I have only lost one trimmer in the last 10 years. I wore a Stihl 80 completely out after many seasons. So regardless of how they are designed I will keep using them at low rpm in many places.

2. RECESSION PROOF MOWING

RECESSION PROOF MOWING LawnSite Senior Member

And have great results and control doing just that. Trimmers last for years with no harm. There is no need to wrap out a trimmer for basic residential or even light duty commercial jobs. I can mow a church or business or home lawn on half throttle and put down beautiful lines just as easily as full bore throttle.

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I guess I must be a dumb arse, because I didn't know you were "supposed" to run them at WOT all the time. I only do if the operation calls for it. I barely have to run the FS 90 R more than idle for most apps.
    My old Ryobi 4 stroke still runs good (needs a new primer bulb right now), and I have always run it only as fast as needed to do the job. It's in its 11th year now, and has been used for some serious work, and run often. I have never even adjusted the valves in it yet.
    I guess I'll have to see what happens with the FS now. If I had never found this out, it would have went 20 years, but now that I know this, I'll probably only get 3 :rolleyes:

4. G. Ramey

G. Ramey LawnSite Senior Member

I have run mine half throttle for years and I believe they last longer. I know for sure I save fuel. I cut a couple of cemetarys and I run the trimmer at half throttle because of the gravel on the graves. My helper runs his wideopen and then complains about the bloody wounds on his legs from the gravel hitting him.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't understand the statement that a valve machine has good low end torque? I have 4 of the Shindawa 2510 and low end torque is the problem. You can't edge with a unit that accelerates slow at low rpm. And it is easy to tune in a two stroke at low rpm...especially those with high torque heads. Anyway......we never run a unit anywhere near top rpm unless we are clearing some weed patch.

6. tacoma200

I have been told by Stihl and other dealers they are designed to be used wide open throttle. I have been told not to lug them. This was before 4 mix engines though. Not sure if they still recommend this or if the dealers didn't know what they were talking about.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

4 stroke engines have always been known for their low end torque. The big 4 stroke dirt bikes will run along a trail at just above idle in almost any gear because of the low end torque, while a 2 stroke needs to be wound up to the powerband to pulll along in a higher gear.

It holds true for any 4 stroke engine. It doesn't mean that 2 strokes can't or don't turn up equal torque, but they need to be running at much higher rpm's to do it.

8. tacoma200

I just know the 4mix units I own run stronger at low rpm's and the 2 strokes seem to have the power at higher rpm's . I know even though I wasn't an early 4mix convert it is now the first trimmer someone will grab.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Anyone who runs it WOT is an idiot. All my life I have ran 1/2 throttle or even 1/4 throttle and never had a problem on my trimmers. I even run my mixture a little heavy with Echo oil and never had a spark plug go bad or exhaust screen clog.

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i think it's the 2 strokes that you have to run at higher rpms since they don't have as much torque.....that's one reason i like 4 strokes....you can save alot of gas and you don't have to rev it all the way to have the power to cut through stuff....it's really helpful around beds and such so you don't throw mulch everywhere...i rarely ever run mine at full throttle...maybe it it's like 3 ft tall weeds or something and really thick lol...i probably run it at 1/2-3/4 throttle on average...a 2 stroke on the other hand doesn't even cut anything until you get it to 3/4 throttle or higher lol.