I said i wouldn't buy a 6.0 PSD now i own one!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lawn-Sharks, Sep 6, 2008.

?

6.0L Powerstroke Diesel???

1. I owned one and it was a great engine!

17 vote(s)
    43.6%
  2. I owned one and it was a Turd or I know someone that owned one and had nothing but troubles!

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. I own one but, have had small issues but nothing major

10 vote(s)
    25.6%
  1. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I went to the Ford dealer to see what they were getting for their newer used diesels thinking i could still get a 7.3L in one umm no. I looked at two 05' XLT Lariats F-250's Super Duty 6.0L PSD 4x4 crew cabs, well what started out as just looking at them ended up me buying one. I couldn't resist.... the truck i bought was pimped out with power everything, leather, wood grain dash, FX4 package, trailer brakes & the list goes on. They were asking $30,380 for it and i told them their is no way in hell I'm paying that for a truck that burns $4.35 a gal fuel so after some tough negotiations :dizzy: i ended up paying $20,380 and it comes with the balance of the remaining warranty 10yrs 100,000 miles. I currently have 2yrs & 20,000 miles left of that warranty! Now a quick history lesson, I have had a few friend own these trucks w/6.0L in them and they have had nothing but trouble, but these guys are hard on their trucks & i am not! So it started out me buying this truck and loving it (all 2 weeks i've owned it)......Well my wife takes it to the store and on the way home she said she went to take off and the the truck just sat idling "no go" i thought at first it was that she isn't used to the minor lag difference between gas & diesel engines. Nope i drove it later the next day and it did it twice to me so back to the dealer it goes on Monday for warranty work! I'm not bad mouthing the truck at all it just seems my luck that this is happening to me after i told myself i would never buy one.... But to everyone who doesn't own one " MAN DOES THIS TRUCK HAVE SOME POWER" I hope this is just a small isolated problem and not the beginning of some real issues. I will try to post pictures tomorrow..

2. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

hope you get it worked out. My 6.0 hs 62k on it now with zero problems! It hauls a trailer daily or a couple ton or dirt or sand. I also have a 7.3 and prefer the 6.0. I hope you have good luck.

3. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

probably the turbo I have already had mine out the egr turbo senser is it throwing any codes?

4. Lawn-Sharks

I read a few threads off a diesel website and it sounds like im having a throttle sensor problem.. I owned a 00' F250 w/7.3L and it had tons of power but someone was saying that the 6.0L has more power then the 7.3L, It's been to long for me to be able to compare the two of these trucks. But does anyone know if this is true???

100_1271.jpg

100_1272.jpg

5. Lawn-Sharks

No Codes yet.

6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

In the pickups the 7.3 has 235 hp and the 6.0 325 IIRC. The first time I drove a 6.0 powered pickup it was towing 8000 lbs. and it was almost like the trailer wasn't there.

Even in the E-series (van cutaway), the 6.0 feels more powerful although in this application both engines are rated at 235 hp.

7. WhitakerServices

WhitakerServices LawnSite Member

I have a 7.3 and love it. It does seem more like the "old tractor" of the two engines with the 6.0 being the more high revving. As I have read it is easier to make power with 6.0 but it does not have the longevity and durability that the 7.3 is known for.
    If you take care of it I am sure it will be a good truck for you.

8. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

Unless you bought a extended warranty its 5 yrs 100k miles. If you can buy the 200k warranty , it should only be 2-2500 dollars. Then your covered as long as the previous owner didnt have a chip in it, if so you bought a truck without the 100k warranty. Best of luck to you. The 6.0 is a good motor but it likes to run, running it a little harder helps with the EGR problems. Make sure the tech is good with the 6.0 alot of these guys are just trained parts swappers and will never solve the problem, only temp. fix it.

9. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 00 f-250 with a 7.3 and an 04 6.0 dump that weighs twice as much. Sometimes my wife and I run light to light. The 6.0 will either keep up or sometimes pull away from the 7.3 I like both for different reasons but the 6.0 is without a doubt stronger.

10. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

wow, you guys must never have pulled with a cummins. I have a 6.0 ford, won't even get out of its own way. Love the truck hate the engine. I have two cummins, thats the way to pull.